A PENSIONER who probably came into contact with asbestos during his working life died as a result of an industrial disease, an inquest heard.
William Wall, 79, of Park Avenue, Askam, died at Furness General Hospital in February of this year.
Between 1955 and 1961, he worked as an apprentice electrician at Vickers shipyard in his birthplace of Barrow.
Later jobs included 14 years at an oil refinery in Libya, where he met wife Diena. They married in 1981.
Mr Wall, who was described as a ‘conscientious, helpful’ man, eventually retired from work in 2016.
Mr Wall’s son Philip said his father may well have come into contact with asbestos while working at Vickers shipyard.
“He did say quite a few times that people in those days used to play football with it [asbestos].They used to ball it up,” he said.
“It seems crazy now.”