Takeaway boss food trade ban – Crime – Blackpool Gazette: A TAKEAWAY owner has been banned from running restaurants, admitting seven food hygiene offences.
Preston Crown Court heard how Muhaimnul and Rushna Choudhury ran the Bengal Spice takeaway – now Dial-a-Curry – on Central Drive, where Blackpool Council’s food hygiene officers found what Judge Tony Cross QC described as an “appalling history of conforming to the regulations”.When officers raided the premises they found dirty tea towels and spice containers, as well as greasy boxes used to store poppadoms.
Visit safety photos
Inspectors discovered dead mouse in ‘filthy’ kebab stall in Oldham’s Tommyfield Market | Manchester Evening News – menmedia.co.uk: Health inspectors found a dead mouse underneath a takeaway counter.
As well as the rodent under the hot plate, at the Kebab Hut in Oldham’s Tommyfield Market, they also discovered mouse droppings on top and under worktops and on shelves as well as bait trays.
The town’s magistrates heard they saw accumulated food debris under the stall. Wash basins could not be used as they were full of cleaning chemicals and a paper towel roll was empty.
Visit safety photos
SYRACUSE, N.Y. – Employees at a Michael C. Graham & Son Construction site in Liverpool were exposed to potentially deadly or disabling falls of up to 17 feet due to a lack of fall protection, resulting in citations issued by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration for willful, repeat and serious violations. The Syracuse-based roofing contractor faces a total of $61,600 in proposed fines following an inspection by OSHA’s Syracuse Area Office.
Inspectors found employees at the Oswego Road site exposed to falls while staging roofing materials and stripping shingles without guardrails, safety nets or personal fall protection equipment. These conditions resulted in citations carrying $24,200 in fines for two willful violations. A willful violation is one committed with intentional knowing or voluntary disregard for the law’s requirements or with plain indifference to worker safety and health.
via 2012 – 11/08/2012 – US Labor Department’s OSHA proposes more than $61,000 in fines to Syracuse, NY, roofing contractor for fall hazards at Liverpool work site.
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration has cited AAA Professional Lawn Care Inc. for seven alleged serious violations of workplace safety standards in connection with the July 30 death of a worker who was performing tree trimming work at 5 Country View Drive in Johnston. The worker was fatally shocked when the aluminum pruner he was using came into contact with an energized 7,200-volt overhead power line.
An investigation by OSHA’s Providence Area Office found that the employer failed to de-energize or ground the power line before the work was begun, as well as to provide protective shields, barriers or insulating materials to protect workers from shocks, burns or other electrical-related injuries. In addition, the pruner was not insulated and was used within 10 feet of the power line, the employee lacked both proper training and protective gloves, and the employer did not institute work practices to reduce the electrical hazard. A serious violation occurs when there is substantial probability that death or serious physical harm could result from a hazard about which the employer knew or should have known.
via 2012 – 11/08/2012 – US Labor Department’s OSHA cites Johnston, RI, lawn care service for 7 serious violations following electrocution of employee.
ANDOVER, Mass. – As part of a settlement with the U.S. Department of Labor, P. Gioioso & Sons Inc., a Hyde Park contractor with a long history of violating excavation safety standards, has agreed to pay a $200,000 fine for exposing its employees to cave-in hazards. The contractor also will significantly overhaul its safety practices to minimize trenching hazards and enhance worker safety.
P. Gioioso & Sons Inc., which primarily works on underground water and sewer mains, has been cited nine times since 2000 by the department’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration for violations of OSHA’s trenching and excavation safety standards, most recently in 2011 at work sites in Cambridge and Framingham.
OSHA found employees working in unprotected trenches at both locations and issued citations carrying $354,000 in proposed fines. Gioioso contested the citations. The department’s regional solicitor’s office crafted the settlement agreement, which goes beyond simple correction of the cited hazards.
via 2012 – 11/08/2012 – US Department of Labor’s OSHA and recidivist Massachusetts contractor reach settlement over cave-in hazards at Cambridge and Framingham sites.
BELTON, Texas – The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration has cited Carmen Creative Cabinets LLC with 32 serious safety and health violations for exposing workers to a variety of hazards, including combustible dust accumulations and amputations from unguarded saws. OSHA’s Austin Area Office initiated an inspection of the company’s cabinet manufacturing facility in Belton upon receiving a complaint alleging hazards. Proposed penalties total $64,800.
The safety violations include failing to provide a proper conduit for compressed air, train and certify forklift operators, install approved electrical equipment, properly guard saws, provide safety mechanisms for powered nail guns, and ensure clear access to fire extinguishers and electrical breaker boxes. The health violations include failing to provide adequate housekeeping and exhaust systems for combustible dust accumulations, implement a hazard communication program and training on the use of chemicals, provide personal protective equipment, maintain restroom facilities in a sanitary condition and provide first-aid supplies. A serious violation occurs when there is substantial probability that death or serious physical harm could result from a hazard about which the employer knew or should have known.
via 2012 – 11/08/2012 – Texas cabinet manufacturer cited by US Labor Department’s OSHA for combustible dust, other hazards; proposed penalties total more than $64,000.
JOPLIN, Mo. – The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration has cited utility company Missouri American Water for two willful safety violations following the May 16, 2012, death of a worker. The worker suffered fatal injuries when a gas-powered saw kicked back while he and another employee were cutting sections of old cast-iron pipe. The work was part of efforts to reroute underground water lines in a residential neighborhood being rebuilt following the EF5 tornado that struck Joplin on May 22, 2011.
“Employers such as Missouri American Water have a responsibility to take all necessary steps to eliminate hazards from the workplace and to ensure that workers are given the proper equipment, tools and training to conduct required tasks,” said Charles E. Adkins, OSHA’s regional administrator in Kansas City, Mo. “It is tragic that an employee lost his life while performing valuable work to rebuild this devastated community.”
via 2012 – 11/08/2012 – US Labor Department’s OSHA cites Missouri American Water for safety violations following worker’s death on reconstruction site in Joplin.
Concern at series of workplace accidents: A construction worker suffered an electric shock at a worksite in Duntroon, a crane collapsed in Queanbeyan, and a Civic concrete pour was shut down on Thursday.
A 28-year-old was shocked while working at a site on General Bridges Drive just before 11.45am.
Visit safety photos
Girl thrown from twister at fireworks fairground – Local – Northampton Chronicle and Echo: A mother has spoken of her terror at seeing her nine-year-old daughter being thrown from a bonfire night fairground ride and taken to hospital.
Yasmin Vickery fell from a “twister” ride at the Hollowell Steam Rally and Heavy Horse Show bonfire on Saturday night and hit a safety fence
Visit safety photos
Worker killed at Muskogee Georgia-Pacific plant – NewsOn6.com – Tulsa, OK – News, Weather, Video and Sports – KOTV.com |: MUSKOGEE, Okla. (AP) – Federal officials are investigating after a worker was killed in an accident at the Georgia-Pacific plant in Muskogee.
Officials say emergency responders were called to the mill shortly before 11 a.m. Wednesday. The Muskogee Phoenix reports (http://is.gd/7OVIkP ) that the man was working for Industrial Contractors of Oklahoma, which is an electrical contractor.
Visit safety photos