2 accidents in 2 days spur investigation of over 14,000 tour buses: Taiwan

Over 14,000 tour buses are scheduled to undergo nationwide inspections, the Ministry of Transportation and Communications (MOTC) said yesterday.

MOTC Minister Mao Chi-kuo said that the Directorate General of Highways (DGH) discovered there could be a mechanical problem stemming from an Isuzu manufacturing process that may have been partially responsible for a deadly accident that took place in Hsinchu last Sunday.

Hsinchu Motor Vehicles Office Director Ko Wu said that he and prosecutors are not excluding human fault or mechanical malfunction as the main cause of the accident.

 2 accidents in 2 days spur investigation of over 14,000 tour buses: Taiwan 

Posted by Stoker via Blogaway

Stop work notice for Mumbai Metro – Mumbai Mirror

Three months after the collapse of a slab killed a worker and injured 16 others, work on the Airport Road metro station has come to a standstill, after the State Labour Department issued a ‘stop work’ order to the authorities for failure to comply with worker safety norms.

While the metro rail project is being undertaken by Mumbai Metro One Private Limited, construction at Andheri Kurla Road has been contracted to Hindustan Construction Company.

 Stop work notice for Mumbai Metro – Mumbai Mirror 

Posted by Stoker via Blogaway

OSHA cites Pilgrim’s Pride Corp. with repeat and serious violations for exposing workers to hazardous chemicals at Lufkin, Texas, facility

LUFKIN, Texas – The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration has cited Pilgrim’s Pride Corp. in Lufkin with three repeat and four serious violations following a June inspection as part of the agency’s Process Safety Management Covered Chemical Facilities national emphasis program. Proposed penalties total $99,000.

“Process safety management prevents the unexpected release of toxic, reactive or flammable liquids and gases in processes involving highly hazardous chemicals,” said David Doucet, director of OSHA’s Houston North office. “Exposure to highly hazardous chemicals can be fatal. OSHA will not tolerate a company’s failure to provide a safe and healthful working environment.”

The repeat citations issued for the process safety management standard violations include failing to inspect and test process equipment consistent with applicable manufacturers’ recommendations and good engineering practices, ensure that process equipment complies with recognized and generally accepted good engineering practices, and properly label containers holding hazard chemicals. A repeat violation exists when an employer previously has been cited for the same or a similar violation of a standard, regulation, rule or order at any other facility in federal enforcement states within the last five years. Similar violations were cited at the company’s work site in Live Oak, Fla., in April 2008 and at the work site in Russellville, Ala., in September 2010.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=NEWS_RELEASES&p_id=23394

Leicester boss banned after 16 arrested in raid

Ilyas Abdulsattar Umerji Nagia, the director of Leicester-based clothing manufacturing company House of Creation Limited, has been disqualified from acting as a director for nine years for hiring illegal workers and leaving a £1 million gap in the accounts.

The disqualification follows an investigation by the Insolvency Service, after an initial raid on the trading premises of the company by the UK Border Agency (UKBA).

Mr Nagia has given an undertaking not to act as a company director until 27 December 2021.

In February 2011, a raid by UKBA officials discovered 16 staff employed at House of Creation did not have permission to work in the UK. The company was fined £80,000 for this but failed to pay. It entered liquidation in May 2011 with debts of more than £240,000, including the fine, which remains unpaid.

A subsequent investigation by the Insolvency Service found inadequate checks at the company had resulted in the hiring of illegal workers, at least ten of whom the company paid less than the national minimum wage.

 RNN media information for journalists and the press – Press Releases – Leicester boss banned after 16 arrested in raid – RNN media information for journalists and the press 

Posted by Stoker via Blogaway

The Salem News : Acid spill forces an evacuation in Danvers

DANVERS — A chemical spill at a hazardous materials warehouse on Water Street forced the evacuation of 20 to 30 people yesterday but caused no injuries, fire officials said.

Fire Chief Kevin Farrell said an accident involving a forklift caused 10 bottles of nitric acid to break and spill onto the floor of Doe & Ingalls, a company that supplies chemicals to the life sciences industry.

Farrell said the spill amounted to “less than 10 gallons” and was contained within the building.

“They did what they were supposed to do,” Farrell said. “They reported it, and we responded.”

 The Salem News : Acid spill forces an evacuation in Danvers 

Posted by Stoker via Blogaway

Scunthorpe shop fined £3,000 after mouse droppings discovered, North Lincolnshire Council reveals | This is Scunthorpe

 North Lincolnshire Council prosecuted the owner of Priory Lane News in Scunthorpe after a mouse infestation was discovered on the premises.

Officers from the authority’s Environmental Health Commercial Team visited Priory Lane News in March and discovered a live mouse infestation in the rear storeroom, with droppings found on shelving, the floor and on the sink.

Scunthorpe shop fined £3,000 after mouse droppings discovered, North Lincolnshire Council reveals | This is Scunthorpe 

Posted by Stoker via Blogaway

One dead, 7 missing in ship accident|chinadaily.com.cn

 One person is dead and seven are missing following a boating accident in Central China’s Hunan province local authorities said on Monday.

The accident happened at 3 am on Sunday when a ship on its way to Pingkou township capsized in waters in Pingshan village in Anhua county, causing four cargo vehicles and 11 people on board to fall into the water.

Three people were rescued.

One dead, 7 missing in ship accident|Society|chinadaily.com.cn 

Posted by Stoker via Blogaway

Worker killed in bulldozer accident

A construction worker was killed when he was trapped underneath a bulldozer at a work site on Elmore Avenue in Davenport this morning.

The man was removed from the scene after being freed by Davenport police and firefighters who responded to the scene.

No other information on the accident is available.

 Worker killed in bulldozer accident 

Posted by Stoker via Blogaway

“The system of work adopted by Galliford Try and Parkstone Group was unplanned and unsafe”

Two construction companies have been fined for serious safety failings after a Coventry worker suffered life-changing injuries after plummeting more than six metres through a badly-covered hole in a floor. Contract worker Ian Howells, 33, of Tile Hill, punctured his lung, broke every rib on the left hand side of his body, shattered all the bones in his left hand and fractured his pelvis in three places as he stepped onto what he thought was a pile of wood covered by plastic. He was bedridden for two months and was unable to work for a year after the incident on 26 November 2010 at a fifth floor plant room undergoing construction at Edgbaston cricket ground. He still suffers considerable pain, walks with a limp and has not regained full use of his hand. Birmingham Magistrates’ Court heard yesterday (10 December) that he and a colleague were trying to move a heavy floor grinder when he stepped onto the wood. He was unaware it was a polythene covered pallet placed on top of scaffolding that concealed a service void. The pallet snapped and sent him crashing to the fourth floor below. The fall was investigated by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which found that Parkstone Group Limited and Galliford Try Construction Limited, the principal contractor for the construction project, could and should have done more to prevent it. Neither company had properly assessed the risks or devised a safe system of work for moving the floor grinder. HSE identified that no information had been provided to anyone working on site in relation to the risks posed by covered voids, and there was no signage affixed to the void to highlight the potential danger. There was also no safe access to the room where work needed to be undertaken. Workers had to access the fifth floor by pulling themselves through the void and then a gap between a scaffolding guard rail. Parkstone Group Limited, of Stonebridge Road, Coleshill, West Midlands, and Galliford Try Construction, of Cowley, Uxbridge, Middlesex, both pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. Yesterday (Monday 10 December) the companies were each fined £13,500 and ordered to pay £3,345 costs. After the hearing HSE inspector Paul Thompson said: “This incident was entirely preventable. The system of work adopted by Galliford Try and Parkstone Group was unplanned and unsafe. Workers were not provided with a safe means by which to do their jobs, or the right equipment to help them do it. “The hole in the floor had been covered with a polythene-covered pallet to prevent rain from getting in, but it was not obvious that it was concealing a hidden danger and individuals at work were not informed of this. “As a result Mr Howells has suffered life-changing injuries that he will never fully recover from.” http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2012/rnn-wm-19212.htm?eban=rss-

Superior Plumbing Installations Ltd failures led to workers’ exposure to asbestos at Aberystwyth flats

Significant safety failures by a plumbing company may have led to two workers being exposed to dangerous asbestos fibres during a major refurbishment project on flats in Aberystwyth.

The workers – a site manager and a subcontractor – were not provided with information about the presence of asbestos while working at the flats in the Penparcau area between November 2010 and February 2011.

Superior Plumbing Installations Ltd, the principal contractor at the site, appeared before Aberystwyth Magistrates today (10 Dec) in a prosecution by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

The court heard that a routine inspection by HSE found contractors carrying out refurbishment work without taking account of asbestos that may have been present.

Workers had removed 82 metres of cement board, which a survey had identified as ‘presumed to contain asbestos’, by breaking it up with a hammer and shovelling it into a wheelbarrow before putting it in a general waste skip. The contractor was due to do the same on two other properties, one of which had asbestos confirmed in the soffits.

HSE found that Superior Plumbing had made no effort to obtain asbestos surveys that existed for the properties to determine if asbestos was present in the flats (Penybont, Gwel Rheidol, Bryn Ysgol and Tremafon blocks) or assess the risk of working with asbestos on the site.

The firm also failed to make a plan to properly deal with its removal and hired a site manager for the scheme who had not been given asbestos awareness training.

Superior Plumbing Installations Ltd, of Windmill Hill Business Park, Whitehill Way, Swindon, pleaded guilty to a breach of Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was fined £5,000 and ordered to pay £3,830 in costs.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2012/rnn-w-superiorplumbing.htm?eban=rss-

Stories of workers who went to work with every intention of going home, but never did.