Baker banned from running any food business after bird and mice found on premises

A baker whose premises were infested with mice and had a robin flying around inside has been banned from running a food business and told to pay more than £7,000.

Environmental health officers found a robin flying around the bakery on two visits, even taking a picture of it perching on a crate.

Portsmouth City Council charged Justin O’Malley, who ran Portsmouth Bakers, with five food hygiene charges including failing to keep the premises clean, failing to control pests, failing to have a proper food safety monitoring system and two counts of failing to obey an improvement notice.

Pub fined 10k for rat infestation

FRESH rodent droppings were found in the kitchen of a New Forest pub as well as potatoes which had been gnawed by rats, a court heard.

The shocking discovery was made by council environmental health officers when they paid a surprise visit to the Red Shoot in Linwood in May this year.

Rodent activity was also found in the outside bottle storage shed where bottles of drink were not adequately protected against potential contamination.

Operators Wadworth and Company Ltd pleaded guilty to five food hygiene offences at Southampton Magistrates’ Court. The company was fined £10,000 and ordered to pay £3,746 costs.

Landlady seeking £975k after accident at work

A landlady is seeking nearly £1 million in compensation after an accident at work left her with multiple injuries.

Mira Bateman is taking action against brewery WH Brakspear & Sons at London’s High Court following an incident at The Plowden Arms near Henley-on-Thames which resulted in her sustaining neck injuries, a broken jaw and a missing tooth, the Daily Mail reports

Eight officials suspended over mine accident in south China

KUNMING – Eight local officials have been suspended from duty after a coal mine accident on Wednesday that killed 17 people in southwest China’s Yunnan province, local authorities said Friday.

The eight include the coal industry bureau chief in Fuyuan County, where the accident took place, the bureau’s deputy director and the county’s work safety chief, according to the county’s publicity office.

In addition, local police have arrested the legal representative as well as the manager of the mine.

Worker injured when cherry picker overturns -Santa Rosa

SANTA ROSA, Calif. — A cherry picker overturned near Santa Rosa Thursday morning, sending a worker falling 40 feet to the ground, a fire battalion chief said.

Fire crews were called to the 1400 block of Airport Boulevard, just east of the Charles M. Shultz-Sonoma County Airport, about 8:50 a.m., Central Fire Authority Battalion Chief Matt Gustafson said.

Check out Independent Asbestos Training Providers. @IATP_Asbestos

The Independent Asbestos Training Providers website offers a dynamic and interactive link between those seeking asbestos training and those providing it. The Independent Asbestos Training Providers website only lists asbestos training providers that have submitted documentary evidence confirming their compliance with the regulations, including independent, external audits; where necessary. The details of these audits are included with the listings, for our clients to check should they so wish.

OSHA to host Hispanic Safety Summit in Seaford, Del., June 10

ATLANTA – The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration is forming a partnership with McCarthy Building Cos. Inc. and Georgia Tech Research Institute’s On-site Consultation Services Program to ensure the highest level of employee safety and health during the construction of the Emory University Hospital J-Wing expansion project. The parties will sign the partnership agreement Tuesday, Dec. 11, 2012, at McCarthy’s Emory project office.

5,000 fine after hygiene inspectors found a decomposing mouse in a food store.

The owner of a Chinese restaurant in Hadleigh has been ordered to pay more than £5,000 after hygiene inspectors found a decomposing mouse in a food store.

Wing Cheung, who owns the China Garden in High Street, appeared before Ipswich Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday after failing to manage food safety standards on the premises for an extended period of time.Magistrates heard that hygiene inspectors from Babergh District Council visited the premises for a routine inspection on April 4 and found a number of breaches of the hygiene legislation, including failing to keep the premises clean and to effectively guard against pests.There was a hole in the wall of the food store, food spillages which would be attractive to rodents had not been cleaned away, and food had been left uncovered, exposing them to a risk of contamination.

Bureaucracy busting boost for street traders [will safety be sidelined?]

Britain’s street traders can celebrate the end of outdated red tape under new proposals announced Consumer Affairs Minister, Jo Swinson today.

A consultation on pedlary and street trading includes proposals to get rid of the Pedlars Act (1871) and make changes to street trading laws to make sure they comply fully with the European Services Directive. The proposals will make it easier for street traders and pedlars to trade.

Jo Swinson said:

“Some of the best places to shop are our vibrant street trading stalls, which are an important part of traditional British culture. The changes we’re proposing will help to eliminate barriers to street traders and pedlars by making it easier to trade, boosting retail and helping small traders – including many young entrepreneurs – to expand and grow.

“The Pedlars Act is an archaic law which requires those wishing to peddle to obtain a pedlar’s certificate (and pay a fee for this) at a time when small businesses are at the heart of continuing growth in the UK – this is unhelpful and restrictive bureaucracy. These proposed changes will help give a boost to those that trade on the street.”

The consultation on the draft regulations closes on 15 February 2013.

via RNN media information for journalists and the press – Press Releases – Bureaucracy busting boost for street traders – RNN media information for journalists and the press.

Police, firefighters use tower ladder to rescue hardhat injured at Staten Island construction site

AMSTATEN ISLAND, N.Y. —  Police and firefighters got creative and used a ladder truck to pluck a construction worker from a six-story scaffolding after he was knocked unconscious by a falling U-bolt Wednesday morning. 

Jorge Yauchanguishyi, 35, of Brooklyn, was working on a scaffolding attached to 1050 Targee St. — the address of the former Doctors’ Hospital, which is slated to become a public school in September 2013 — when the 25-pound bolt plunged from above and struck him in the head, police said. 

The bolt hit the worker’s helmet, then his back, said Detective Robert Brager, who was part of the team that rescued him. Yauchanguishyi was on the scaffolding with a group of workers, Brager said.