Courthouse News Service: BOSTON – Solutia and Ineos Melamines are polluting the air with formaldehyde and methanol from the Indian Orchard auto paint plant in Springfield, Mass., Uncle Sam claims in Federal Court.
Chemistry class ends with school evacuation in Moscow – English pravda.ru: About 650 students were evacuated from Moscow school No. 1338 after chemicals were spilled at a chemistry class. Two children suffered due to the rough handling of the phenol indicator.
According to the press service of the Department of Internal Affairs for the Northern District of the capital, at around 10.50 a.m. at school number 1338, located at Klinskaya Street, one of the bulbs burst during a chemistry class, while students were conducting a laboratory experiment.
Man dies following hazardous materials scare / Newbury & Thatcham Chronicle / News / Newbury: A MAN has died from a suspected heart attack after firefighters and police were alerted of suspected hazardous materials in a garage in Newbury, which have since turned out to be safe.
Paramedics were called to M & T Motor Co in Kingsbridge Road just after 1pm yesterday (Thursday) after a man had fallen ill with a suspected heart attack.
Storm brings heavy rain and wind to NYC, with regional travel delays expected – NYPOST.com: A storm system brought gusty wind and heavy rain to the northeast this morning, making for a messy New York City commute – and likely causing travel delays across the region.
A scaffolding collapse shut down a section of Bay Parkway in Brooklyn, while flooding is reported on I-278 East.
Even after workplace deaths, companies avoid OSHA penalties | The Center for Public Integrity: SYRACUSE, N.Y. — The temperature outside barely reached double digits on the morning of Jan. 15, 2009, and, inside the Crucible Specialty Metals steel mill here, it was bitterly cold. Ice coated the equipment, forcing employees to use torches to free the machines so they could start their work.
Danger was everywhere, federal records show. Equipment was old and in disrepair. Molten steel snaked through the building, and, at any moment, could snag and twist out of control, burning anything in its path. Shafts driving the machines that compress the steel spun at high speeds with no guards to shield employees working nearby. Sometimes, workers said, the torches backfired and burned them.
Baroness defeats gardener over lawn-mowing compensation claim | This is Sussex: A CROWBOROUGH pensioner has lost his appeal for compensation against the widow of a prominent former MP following claims he was deafened by years of mowing grass at her country home.
Clifford Sayers was branded a “very greedy man” by Baroness Chelwood after judges threw out his bid for £25,000 at The Court Of Appeal.
Burning pipeline fire sign of Nigeria’s woes – NBC12.com – Richmond, VA News, Weather, Traffic & Sports: IJE ODODO, Nigeria (AP) – Thieves who wanted to steal gasoline from a pipeline running near Nigeria’s megacity of Lagos have sparked a massive fire.
The fire began Monday in Ije Ododo, in a swampy mangrove forest in the western fringe of the sprawling city of Lagos. On Thursday, firefighters sprayed water around the site, trying to stop the fire from spreading. The ground turned to a foul-smelling mud, with puddles of fuel and dirt looking red.
Pipeline ruptures remain common in Nigeria, an oil-rich nation where militants and criminals routinely tap into lines to steal crude oil and refined gasoline.
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service – Man burns hand after suffering two chip pan fires within a fortnight: A MAN has been taken to hospital suffering from burns after suffering a chip pan fire in his home – for the second time in a fortnight.
Both crews from Oldham Fire Station were called to Flemming Place, Werneth, at 1.15am on Friday, December 21.
Firefighters discovered that a fire had started with a chip pan in a bungalow.
A 37-year-old man tried to tackle the fire by moving the chip pan off the hob and burned his hand while doing it.
The fire was out by the time the crews arrived and the man was being given first aid by paramedics.
Firefighters discovered signs of there had been a fire of a similar nature – believed to have been about two weeks earlier and also involved a chip pan – but Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service had not previously been informed of the incident.
The man was taken to Royal Oldham Hospital and later transferred to Wythenshawe Hospital.
Gore galore: Vintage Soviet accident prevention posters | Washington Times Communities: WASHINGTON,�December 20, 2012�―�No, these are not Halloween decorations from the Kremlin, nor are they visual aids in a KGB class on how to stage weird accidents.
Buried in the ash heap of history for decades, these vintage Soviet accident prevention posters have recently been unearthed, digitized, and turned into a trendy item by American bloggers with a taste for all things bizarre and outlandish.