When work becomes a lethal hell – Globaltimes.cn: On the first day of 2013, 38-year-old steel worker Li Bin, died leaving a wife and a 15-year-old child behind. Fifteen days before his death Li Bin had been working as usual at Baosteel’s manufacturing plant in Shanghai’s Baoshan district. He and his fellow workers had been working exactly as they had done for years when suddenly, in the morning on December 17, a nightmare exploded. As they moved a refinery wagon containing molten iron along tracks, the contraption suddenly tipped, splashing 270 tons of molten metal around the area. Two workers died at the scene, unable to escape. More than 10 others suffered injuries in the accident but Li Bin was the most seriously injured.
Boss fined �7,000 after worker’s fall in Middlesbrough – Local News – News – Gazette Live: A BUSINESSMAN has defended his 33-year record after being hit in the pocket by more than �12,500 for health and safety breaches.
Teesside Magistrates’ Court heard a case against Silk Road Foods Ltd after a member of staff was seriously injured in a fall at their Middlesbrough premises which it was said could have been fatal.
The company, based on Derwent Street, Gresham, was fined �7,500 and ordered to pay �5,062 towards the costs of Middlesbrough Council, who brought the prosecution.
Owner Majid Torkmanzadh said: “These things never happen to me. I have been in business in this area nearly 33 years. I always look after my staff – good staff is part of your capital.
“I’ve never had these problems before – I always look after people.”
The U.S. Chemical Safety Board today released a new safety video depicting the events leading up to an explosion and fire that killed five workers during a fireworks disposal operation in Waipahu, Hawaii. The new video, entitled “Deadly Contract” features a new HD animation depicting highly explosive firework components igniting inside a tunnel-like magazine.
The video, which details the findings and safety recommendations resulting from the Board’s final report, was approved today at a public meeting in Washington, DC. The DEI investigation report concludes that the explosion and fire resulted from unsafe disposal practices, insufficient safety requirements for government contractor selection and oversight and an absence of adequate federal regulations, standards, and guidelines for safe fireworks disposal.
SAN ANTONIO – The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration has cited Riddell All-American Sports Co. with eight alleged serious violations following an investigation that began in August 2012 from a complaint for exposing workers to multiple safety and health violations at its Alamo Downs Parkway facility in San Antonio. Proposed penalties total $44,000.
The serious violations include failing to ensure electrical equipment was free from recognized hazards, provide adequate machine guarding while operating industrial sewing machines, provide a fall protection program to prevent fall hazards from the basket of a powered industrial truck and implement a respiratory program. A serious violation occurs when there is substantial probability that death or serious physical harm could result from a hazard about which the employer knew or should have known.
“It is the employer’s responsibility to assess the hazards in the workplace and provide a safe and healthful environment for its workers,” said Kelly Knighton, OSHA’s area director in San Antonio. “In this case, it is fortunate that no one was hurt.”
BATTLE CREEK, Mich. – The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration has issued seven notices of unsafe or unhealthful working conditions found at the Battle Creek Veterans Administration Medical Center, following a safety inspection conducted in July as part of OSHA’s Federal Agency Targeting Inspection Program.
“The Battle Creek Veterans Administration Medical Center failed to properly ensure the facility was in compliance with established safety and health procedures,” said Robert Bonack, director of OSHA’s Lansing Area Office. “All employers, including federal employers, are responsible for knowing what hazards exist in their facilities and taking appropriate precautions by following OSHA standards so workers are not exposed to such hazards.”
Three repeat safety violations involved failing to evaluate the workplace to identify if permit-required confined spaces were present and label such spaces with danger signs; failing to adequately guard automated laundry equipment to prevent employees from entering the work area, and failing to fully guard the belt and pulley of an air compressor. To issue notices for repeat violations, OSHA must have issued at least one other notice for the same violation at one of the agency’s establishments within the same standard industrial classification code, commonly known as the SIC code. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs facilities in Danville and North Chicago, Ill., and Minneapolis, Minn., have been cited for the same safety and health violations.
Straw bale leaves farmer in intensive care – General News – Austrian Times Online News – English Newspaper: A 46-year-old farmer was critically injured during a work accident in his barn in Lor�ns (Vorarlberg) on Monday evening. The man was buried under a straw bale weighing 300 kilos.
The 46-year-old was busy working in his barn at around 18.00. He used a ladder to climb onto the hayloft to throw some hay down. A 300-kilogram straw bale started to slide and crushed the man.
Investigation into St Amant – after death of Dalbeattie fisherman – Dumfries and Galloway Standard: Criminal charges could be brought after the death of a Dalbeattie fisherman.
Maritime watchdogs confirmed the St Amant boat is being “closely monitored”.
And it emerged yesterday that the scallop dredger was involved in an incident in the North Sea, near Arbroath, on Tuesday when it broke down.
The Marine and Coastguard Agency (MCA) confirmed that probes, which may lead to criminal charges, were continuing as they conduct regular checks on the St Amant.
Elderly Man Critical After Elevator Doors Pin Legs, Reports NY Injury Lawyer | new york personal injury lawyers | JusticeNewsFlash Release: NY Injury Lawyer Report: An 84-year-old man was in critical condition after an accident in which both of his legs became trapped in an elevator door between the first and the second floor of his Harlem apartment building on January 2, 2013. The building is a New York City Housing Authority-run building on 105th Street. Eyewitnesses reported that the elevator started to ascend before the doors were completely closed, trapping the victim’s legs in the doors between floors. An eyewitness who identified himself as Elijah Williams stated that “half his body got caught inside the elevator
Dunnes manager off work for four years after slipping on olive oil – Courts, National News – Independent.ie: A DUNNES Stores manager who allegedly sustained serious injuries to her shoulder when she slipped on an olive oil spill was unable to return to work for over four years, the High Court heard today.
Eileen Monahan (55) from Beneavin Road, Glasnevin, Dublin has brought an action for damages against her employer as a result of the accident at Dunnes in the ILAC Centre, Dublin, on December 1, 2006.
Ms Monahan, the court heard, has worked with Dunnes for 30 years and was manager in the lingerie and hosiery department.
Her claim includes €135,000 for loss of earnings in the years immediately after the accident when she could not work
Restaurant fined for health breaches – Local – Luton Today: A restaurant in Bury Park was prosecuted and fined for cockroaches ‘running up the walls’, and other breaches of food hygeine regulations.
Laziza Ltd – trading as Buffet Lounge – pleaded guilty to 6 food hygiene offences at Luton Magistrates court on Monday, January 14.The Buffet Lounge, in Dunstable Road, received intensive advice and coaching from council food officers as part of the Bury Park Project in 2011.