Welsh mine manager charged with manslaughter – Daily Record

Welsh mine manager charged with manslaughter – Daily Record: THE manager of a colliery where four miners died has been charged with fours counts of manslaughter, police have said.Charles Breslin, Philip Hill, Garry Jenkins and David Powell died at the Gleision mine near Pontardawe, south Wales, in 2011.Today police announced that pit manager Malcolm Fyfield, 57, has been charged with four counts of gross negligence manslaughter.The company which owns the colliery, MNS Mining Ltd, has also been summonsed to answer four counts of corporate manslaughter

Visit safety photo

A five-year wait for basic repairs, 356 health and safety hazards were found | This is Staffordshire

A five-year wait for basic repairs | This is Staffordshire: RESIDENTS are demanding faster action to repair their homes as the council faces a �1.2 billion bill to carry out work on properties.
Tenants in Burslem say they had been left waiting too long for vital repairs to their houses.

In a housing stock survey carried out by council surveyors, 356 health and safety hazards were found.

These included structural problems, damp and mould, electrical wiring issues and the danger of tenants falling over due to property design.
Visit safety photo

Harlow takeaway boss fined £15,000 for hygiene offences | Latest Harlow news headlines

Harlow takeaway boss fined �15,000 for hygiene offences | Latest Harlow news headlines: THE owner of a Harlow fast-food takeaway has apologised for a ‘huge lapse of judgement’ after being hit with a �15,000 fine for a catalogue of food hygiene offences.
Mohammed Ahmed (32), of Elwood, Harlow, was prosecuted by Harlow Council after environmental health officers highlighted serious concerns over food safety standards at Mr Chicken in Bush Fair.

Visit safety photo

NHS hospital fined for asbestos exposure to contractors

A North East hospital trust has been fined after contractors were unwittingly exposed to asbestos fibres at Sunderland Eye Infirmary.

Sunderland Magistrates’ Court heard today that over the weekend of 24/25 March 2012, contractors at the infirmary on Queen Alexandra Road drilled through door surrounds on a ward to install cables.

The following day concerns regarding the work were raised by a member of Trust staff and it was confirmed that the door surrounds were made of asbestos insulating board.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that City Hospitals Sunderland NHS Foundation Trust had an asbestos survey that clearly showed there was asbestos in the door surrounds but, despite several site meetings between the Trust and the contractors, no information on the location or condition of any asbestos was given to the contractors.

The court heard that asbestos insulating board does not pose a risk to health unless it is damaged or worked on, when asbestos fibres can be released. Drilling the board could cause fibres to be released into the air.

City Hospitals Sunderland NHS Foundation Trust, Kayll Road, Sunderland was fined £3,000 and ordered to pay £4,582.40 in costs after pleading guilty to breaching Regulation 4 (9)(c)(i) of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2006.

After the hearing, HSE inspector Shuna Rank, said:

“This incident was entirely preventable and highlights the importance of having a robust asbestos management system in place. City Hospitals Sunderland had put considerable resources into identifying where asbestos was in the hospital buildings but failed to have efficient procedures in place to ensure the information was passed to the contractors.

“As a result workers drilled through the asbestos-containing material, potentially exposing themselves, hospital staff and members of the public to dangerous fibres.

“There need to be systems in place to ensure that all workers are aware of where asbestos is if their work is likely to bring them into contact with asbestos-containing materials.”

Asbestos is the single greatest cause of work-related deaths in the UK. It is responsible for more than 4,500 deaths each year. Asbestos is still present in many buildings and any work likely to disturb the asbestos needs to be positively managed to prevent exposure.

For advice on working with asbestos visit www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos.

via RNN media information for journalists and the press – Press Releases – HOSPITAL TRUST IN COURT FOR ASBESTOS FAILURES – RNN media information for journalists and the press.

“Flameproofings failed to act on the findings of its own risk assessment”

A Bolton fabric firm has been fined after an employee was badly injured when he was flipped around a large rotating roller.

The 39-year-old from the town, who has asked not to be named, was trying to straighten a crease on a roll of fabric as it was being wound up when his clothes became caught in the mechanism on 17 October 2011.

He was dragged around the roller three times, suffering cracked ribs and bruising to the side of his body.

Flameproofings Ltd, which treats fabrics used for curtains and sofas, was today (18 January) prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) following an investigation into the incident at its factory at the Lyon Road Industrial Estate.

Trafford Magistrates’ Court heard that there were no guards on the machine to prevent workers from accessing dangerous moving parts, and the emergency stop button nearest to where the employee was working was defective.

The company had carried out an assessment which identified the risk of workers’ clothes becoming entangled as a hazard, but it failed to act on this. It has since installed a new guard on the machine and changed its procedure for removing creases.

Flameproofings Ltd, of Springfield Road in Kearsley, was fined £6,000 and ordered to pay £3,600 in prosecution costs after pleading guilty to breaching Regulation 11(1) of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE Inspector Emily Osborne said:

“The worker was badly injured because his employer didn’t do enough to ensure he could not become entangled in the machine.

“Flameproofings failed to act on the findings of its own risk assessment, and install a suitable guard on the machine. It should also have made sure the defective emergency stop button was fixed and working properly.

“Sadly, it took the injury of an employee for the company to realise it needed to take action to improve safety at the factory.”

Information on improving safety is available at www.hse.gov.uk/manufacturing.

via RNN media information for journalists and the press – Press Releases – Bolton fabric firm fined over employee’s injuries – RNN media information for journalists and the press.

Lanterns tribute to apprentice, 16, killed in accident at work in factory (From Prestwich and Whitefield Guide)

Lanterns tribute to apprentice, 16, killed in accident at work in factory (From Prestwich and Whitefield Guide): DOZENS of lanterns were released into the sky in memory of a 16-year-old boy who died in a factory accident just a few weeks after he started working there.

More than 250 family and friends gathered to remember Cameron Minshull, who suffered fatal injuries while working at a machine at the premises in Huntley Mount Road, Bury, on Tuesday last week.

Cameron, who lived in Unsworth, had been taken on as an apprentice at Zaffar Engineering UK Ltd just three weeks before.

Visit safety photo

Beijing Babies Stricken by Toxic Smog – – Romanian Times

Beijing Babies Stricken by Toxic Smog – Around the World News – Romanian Times Online News – English Newspaper: Nearly 1,000 babies and young children have been hospitalised with breathing difficulties as Beijing’s pollution crisis entered a fourth day today, Chinese officials have confirmed.

More than 800 youngsters have been treated with nebulisers in emergency clinics as they struggle to breath the severely contaminated air.

Visit safety photo

Leicester herb supplier shut after evidence of mice found | This is Leicestershire

Leicester herb supplier shut after evidence of mice found | This is Leicestershire: Environmental health officers closed a herb and spice milling plant on the spot after finding mouse activity throughout the premises.
Leicester City Council officials served a prohibition notice at FGS Ingredients Ltd’s premises in Ulverscroft Road, Belgrave, on Monday.

Visit safety photo

Court bills for dirty Dudley takeaways (From Stourbridge News)

Court bills for dirty Dudley takeaways (From Stourbridge News): BOROUGH takeaways have been hit with court bills for thousands of pounds for a string of offences relating to poor hygiene.

Brierley Hill pizza firm boss Mohammed Hassani, of Cooper Avenue, who runs Godfather Pizzeria in Dudley, landed a bill for £7,334 after pleading guilty to 11 offences.

The prosecution, brought by Dudley Council, followed inspections at his takeaway in Stourbridge Road, Dudley, in December 2011 and June 2012 by environmental health officers.

Visit safety photo