East London furniture maker told to stop using broom in his factory over ‘serious’ health and safety fears | London Evening Standard

Image by Michal Jarmoluk from Pixabay

A furniture maker claims he has been told by safety inspectors to stop using a broom to sweep his factory as it can cause serious harm to the health of workers.

Michael Northcroft, who says he is a furniture maker to the stars, was told by Health and Safety England that sweeping sawdust was exposing his 10 workers to “a substance hazardous to heath, namely airborne wood dust”.

 

The defiant 63-year-old called the advice “a load of rubbish” and said he plans to continue to sweep his factory in Leyton, east London, as opposed to using an industrial vacuum.

via East London furniture maker told to stop using broom in his factory over ‘serious’ health and safety fears | London Evening Standard.

Second Subway in Hull handed a zero food hygiene rating – Hull Live

A second Subway in Hull has been handed a zero food hygiene rating.

Last year the St Stephen’s shopping centre outlet was handed a zero which remains in place and now the one in Princes Avenue has also been handed the lowest score possible.

While eight of the Subway outlets across Hull have the top score of five, the site in King Edward Street in the city centre only has a two – requiring improvement – while the one in Newland Avenue, west Hull, only has a one which means major improvement is necessary.

Subway has responded to the latest poor hygiene score and says the franchise at Princes Avenue is being taken over by a new operator.

via Second Subway in Hull handed a zero food hygiene rating – Hull Live.

Man loses hands in workplace accident | The New Daily

A man whose hands were severed in an industrial accident in southern Queensland has been flown to a Brisbane hospital in a serious condition.Paramedics were called just before 8am on Monday with reports the 40-year-old’s hands and arms had been dragged into an industrial machine at Ballandean, near the Queensland-NSW border.

via Man loses hands in workplace accident | The New Daily.

Star Weekly | Hoppers Crossing food premises owner fined $25,000 – Star Weekly

A Hoppers Crossing food premises owner has been fined $25,000 after pleading guilty to 11 charges relating to the cleanliness of their premises and unsatisfactory food handling practices.

At a hearing at the Sunshine Magistrates Court last month, the proprietor pleaded guilty to charges relating to offences under the Food Act, including:

– Failing to handle food that was intended for sale in a safe manner.

– Failing to maintain a level of cleanliness where there was no accumulation of garbage, food waste, dirt, grease or other visible matter.
— Read on www.starweekly.com.au/news/hoppers-crossing-food-premises-owner-fined-25000/

Proprietor at Ewell restaurant to be sentenced after inspection uncovers filthy conditions | Surrey Comet

The proprietor at the Fortune Cookie restaurant in Ewell was prosecuted after an inspection by Epsom and Ewell Borough Council (EEBC).

Chun Gen Zheng of Ewell’s Fortune Cookie pleaded guilty at Guildford Magistrates Court last week to 21 offences under the Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations.

He is due to be sentenced at the same court later this month (June 25).
— Read on www.surreycomet.co.uk/news/17704226.proprietor-at-ewell-restaurant-to-be-sentenced-after-inspection-uncovers-filthy-conditions/

The ‘shocking’ state of a multi-million pound dairy distribution centre prosecuted for 22 hygiene offences – Manchester Evening News

Rat droppings underneath a bread pallet.

Metal crates packed with cartons of milk left out in the sun.

Filthy toilets and a mould-stained walk-in refrigerator.

This damming dossier of disgusting photographs helped secure the conviction of a diary distribution centre for a raft of hygiene offences.

Council bosses called the case ‘shocking’ after the company, which they said has a multi-million pound turnover, was fined £25,000.

Medina Dairy Bolton Ltd, based on an industrial estate on Tonge Bridge Way, Tonge Fold, Bolton, was prosecuted by Bolton council for 22 hygiene offences under the Food Safety and Hygiene Regulations.
— Read on www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/fine-dairy-hygiene-offences-bolton-16423122

Climate change puts pressure on Europe’s energy system

All parts of Europe’s energy system, from availability of energy sources to energy consumption, are potentially vulnerable to climate change and extreme weather events, according to a European Environment Agency report, published today. To secure reliable supply of clean energy, Europe’s energy system needs to adapt and become more climate resilient, the report states.

from News http://bit.ly/2KSafWn
via IFTTT

Operation Double Scoop – Council crackdown on illegal ice cream vendors | News Shopper

Image by Steve Buissinne from Pixabay

Greenwich council has been working closely with the police to stop illegal ice cream sellers duping residents.

Operation Double Scoop took place on June 8 after the council received a lot of calls and complaints from residents and businesses about itinerant ice cream traders that travel from place to place in the borough. Concerns have been raised about the fumes coming from ice cream vans, as their engines are left running to power fridges whilst they’re stationary.

As well as air pollution, there is also the issue of food safety, ice cream is a high risk perishable product and legally these traders should have food management procedures in place to protect consumers.

via Operation Double Scoop – Council crackdown on illegal ice cream vendors | News Shopper.

Aberdeen council rapped over asbestos safety breach | Press and Journal

Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay

Unions contacted the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) following an incident at Seaton’s Beachview court in April.

In a letter from the HSE to the council, they said that inspectors had found that despite being warned that a damaged door contained asbestos two years ago, the authority had not replaced it.

They also found that the contractor carrying out work had not been given an asbestos survey and was only told of the toxic substance in informal, undocumented meetings on the site.

Inspectors also said that when an electrician went into the high rise there was no check of the asbestos register and he was not given specialist respiratory equipment to carry out the work safely.

via Aberdeen council rapped over asbestos safety breach | Press and Journal.

US Open: Freak golf cart accident results in five injuries

PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. — Five people were injured Friday at the U.S. Open when one of several boxes being loaded onto a golf cart fell onto the accelerator and sent the cart into spectators.

The California Highway Patrol says a vendor parked the cart near the 16th hole at Pebble Beach and was walking away when a box fell onto the gas pedal, moving it forward. It struck four spectators and the vendor before it was brought under control.

via US Open: Freak golf cart accident results in five injuries.