Construction Worker Falls 40 Feet From Crane In San Francisco – CBS San Francisco

SAN FRANCISCO (KPIX) – A construction worker was rushed to the hospital after plunging 40 feet to the ground from a crane, in San Francisco.

It happened on 11th Street near Market Street, Saturday afternoon.

According to officials, the man was on a platform at the top of a red crane. A pin became dislodged and sent the man falling to the ground. There were several other construction workers in the area, who witnessed the accident.

via Construction Worker Falls 40 Feet From Crane In San Francisco – CBS San Francisco.

White asbestos lines many Indonesian buildings and health experts fear a coming cancer ‘explosion’ – ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Australia has long since banned the use and import of deadly asbestos. But on our doorstep, builders and factories across Indonesia are still using asbestos in massive volumes, oblivious to the danger.

Key points:
Indonesia is the second-biggest asbestos importer in the world
Up to 10 per cent of all buildings in Indonesia contain white asbestos
The Government says it’s up to the building industry to stop using it
— Read on mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-07/indonesia-is-built-with-white-asbestos/11668864

The 44 restaurants around Somerset with a food hygiene rating of one – Somerset Live

Image by Michael Gaida from Pixabay

We all love to eat out from time to time.

Whether you are after a quick snack or a nice slap-up meal, there are thousands of places across Somerset serving up an array of your favourite dishes.

 

From a pub lunch, to some fried chicken or even a kebab, we trust that the kitchens in which our food is prepared are clean and hygienic.

But while the vast majority of places achieve good hygiene ratings, some fail to hit the marks when the inspectors come calling.

There are 44 places which serve food across Somerset and neighbouring west Wiltshire that currently have a rating of one.

This means that major improvements are necessary.

via The 44 restaurants around Somerset with a food hygiene rating of one – Somerset Live.

Little Bay restaurant in Kilburn given the worst possible food hygiene rating – MyLondon

A popular restaurant in Kilburn with excellent reviews on TripAdvisor has been given the worst food hygiene rating possible.

Cosy restaurant Little Bay, which serves modern European cuisine, currently enjoys a rating of 4.5 out of 5 on the food review website with a customer describing it as “simply the best” in a recent comment.

Unfortunately, though, in its most recent food hygiene inspection the restaurant received a rating of zero out of five – meaning urgent improvement necessary.

via Little Bay restaurant in Kilburn given the worst possible food hygiene rating – MyLondon.

Fitter sentenced for unregistered gas work

A gas fitter has been sentenced for carrying out gas work after his registration with Gas Safe Register had lapsed.

Mansfield Magistrates’ Court heard that, during September and October 2016, Adam Mansbridge replaced the gas central heating boilers at two different addresses in Mansfield and Worksop without being registered with Gas Safe Register. Following concerns, Gas Safe Register attended the properties and identified various defects with the installations, including defects identified as being ‘immediately dangerous’ and ‘at risk’.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) revealed that Mr Mansbridge’s registration with Gas Safe Register had not been renewed at the time the gas work involving replacing the gas central heating boilers was carried out.

Adam Mansbridge of Thorpe Close, Coddington, Newark, pleaded guilty to a breach of Regulation 3 (3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998). He was given a curfew order for 12 weeks, ordered to pay costs of £2,500, and to pay £500 compensation to one of the customers.

Speaking after the hearing, HM inspector Lee Greatorex said:

“All gas work must be carried out by registered Gas Safe engineers to ensure the highest standards are met to prevent injury and loss of life. Appropriate enforcement action will be taken by HSE against those that fall below the required standards.”

Notes to Editors:

  1. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is Britain’s national regulator for workplace health and safety. We prevent work-related death, injury and ill health through regulatory actions that range from influencing behaviours across whole industry sectors through to targeted interventions on individual businesses. These activities are supported by globally recognised scientific expertise. www.hse.gov.uk
  2. More about the legislation referred to in this case can be found at: www.legislation.gov.uk/
  3. HSE news releases are available at http://press.hse.gov.uk

The post Fitter sentenced for unregistered gas work appeared first on HSE Media Centre.

from HSE Media Centre https://ift.tt/33x7NuE
via IFTTT

Unregistered gas engineer sentenced for carrying out gas work

A gas engineer has been sentenced after carrying out gas work at a GP Practice and domestic premises without being registered with Gas Safe Register.

Mansfield Magistrates’ Court heard that, between November 2015 and April 2017, Neil Hawkins carried out unsafe gas work at a GP Practice and two domestic properties in Kirkby-in-Ashfield and Mansfield, whilst not registered with Gas Safe Register.

Registration with Gas Safe Register requires engineers to demonstrate that they hold the relevant competencies and qualifications for the work they intend to carry out, ensuring that gas work is carried out to an appropriate standard and the public are not put at risk of serious harm.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) revealed that Mr Hawkins had fraudulently issued Landlord Gas Safety Records for both properties, and a Gas Safety Inspection report for the GP practice using the details of a Gas Safe registered engineer unknown to him.

Neil Hawkins of Welbeck Street, Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, pleaded guilty to one breach of Regulation 3(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 (as amended), and one breach of Regulation 3(7) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 (as amended) at each property. He was sentenced to 20 weeks imprisonment for each offence to run concurrently, suspended for 12 months. He was also ordered to carry out 120 hours of community service and to pay costs of £4,345.04.

Speaking after the hearing, HM Inspector Aaron Rashad said:

“Neil Hawkins undertook gas work which he knew he was not registered to do. All gas work must be done by registered Gas Safe engineers to ensure the highest standards are met to prevent injury and loss of life.”

Notes to Editors:

  1. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is Britain’s national regulator for workplace health and safety. We prevent work-related death, injury and ill health through regulatory actions that range from influencing behaviours across whole industry sectors through to targeted interventions on individual businesses. These activities are supported by globally recognised scientific expertise. www.hse.gov.uk
  2. More about the legislation referred to in this case can be found at: www.legislation.gov.uk/
  3. HSE news releases are available at http://press.hse.gov.uk

The post Unregistered gas engineer sentenced for carrying out gas work appeared first on HSE Media Centre.

from HSE Media Centre https://ift.tt/2WTisgZ
via IFTTT

Forging company fined after worker loses fingers and thumb

A forging firm has been fined after a worker had to have fingers and a thumb amputated following an incident while he was operating a press at its Stourbridge site.

Wolverhampton Magistrates’ Court heard that on 25 June 2018 a forger at Brooks Forgings Limited had his left hand crushed between dies and moving parts on a press. Following hospital treatment his thumb, index finger and part of his middle finger had to be amputated.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found the company had failed to ensure that effective measures were taken to prevent access to the dangerous parts, namely gripping dies and heading tool of the Samuel Platt Upset Forging Press.

Brooks Forgings Limited of Doulton Road, Cradley Heath, West Midlands pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 11(1) of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998. The company has been fined £1,500 and ordered to pay costs of £2,511.11.

Speaking after the hearing HSE inspector Karen Sweeney said. “The installation of simple guarding mechanisms and a system of ensuring a safe system of work was in place would have prevented the forger from losing significant parts of his hand.

“Employers should make sure they properly assess and apply effective control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk from dangerous parts of machinery”.

 

Notes to Editors:

  1. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is Britain’s national regulator for workplace health and safety. We prevent work-related death, injury and ill health through regulatory actions that range from influencing behaviours across whole industry sectors through to targeted interventions on individual businesses. These activities are supported by globally recognised scientific expertise. www.hse.gov.uk
  2. More about the legislation referred to in this case can be found at: www.legislation.gov.uk/
  3. HSE news releases are available at http://press.hse.gov.uk

The post Forging company fined after worker loses fingers and thumb appeared first on HSE Media Centre.

from HSE Media Centre https://ift.tt/2pRhhST
via IFTTT