There is to be a legal challenge taken to the Court of Appeal by a landlord denied possession of their property because they had not served a gas safety certificate until after the tenancy started.
The landlord had initially been granted an order to possess the property using Section 21, but the tenant successfully appealed on the grounds that they were not provided with a gas safety certificate before moving in.
Although the certificate was later served by the landlord, the court said that the landlord’s Section 21 powers were invalid due to late serving of the gas safety certificate.
The court case, Trecarrel House Ltd v Rouncefield, was heard at Exeter County Court last month, where the landlord was granted the order, before the tenant successfully appealed, which has led to the legal challenge.
A businessman has been convicted of a health and safety offence following the death of a worker at a skip hire firm near Attleborough.
Robert Baldwin, managing director of Baldwin Skip Hire, had denied manslaughter and an offence under the Health and Safety Act of consenting or conniving in the commission of an offence attributable to neglect, following the death of James Criddle in May 2017.
After a six-day trial at Norwich Crown Court a jury today (March19) convicted Baldwin, 48, of the health and safety offence in relation to practices at the firm’s site. The jury found Baldwin not-guilty of manslaughter.
The company, Baldwin Skip Hire, had previously pleaded guilty to a charge under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 for failing to discharge general health, safety and welfare.
March 19, 2019
U.S. Department of Labor Cites Ammunition Manufacturer
After Explosion Kills Two Employees at North Florida Worksite
from OSHA News Release https://ift.tt/2FcHuyX
A Norwich repair and maintenance firm has been fined £150,000 after an employee fell two metres while working on a roof.
RFT Repairs Limited, which is based at King Street in the city centre, pleaded guilty to breaching the Work at Height Regulations 2005.
On Wednesday, March 13, Barking Magistrates’ Court heard how, on September 7, 2016, a roofer was working with a colleague to repair a leaky roof in Seaton Avenue in Felixstowe.
There was no edge protection around the roof, the court heard, and access to it was via an unsecured ladder, so as the roofer used the ladder it slipped, and he fell from roughly two metres.
A mini-submarine on a UK-led research expedition has made an emergency ascent from 100m beneath the surface of the Indian Ocean after smoke filled its cockpit.
The Nekton Mission said it was looking into the cause of an electrical fire but the team was expected to be back in the water on Wednesday. Emergency procedures had worked well, it added.
WISCONSIN DELLS, Wis. (WMTV) — Three people diagnosed with Legionnaires’ disease, including one person who died, all went to the same resort, according to the Sauk County Health Department.
“When there’s a reportable disease you do questionnaires with the individuals,” said Hayes. “You’re trying to find a history of any potential exposures, and so going through the investigation we would’ve determined what the patients’ possible exposures were, and then looked into those sites.”Tara Hayes, Director of the Sauk County Health Department, said they cannot pinpoint where exactly the three people contracted the disease.
After cows were found to be producing tainted milk on a small farm in Maine, authorities attributed the discovery of toxic chemicals to a common fertilizer – biosolids, or nutrient-rich sewage from municipal utilities. And health experts worry the contamination could signal far broader problems on farms nationwide.
from Reuters Video: Environment https://ift.tt/2TLdzbj https://ift.tt/2ElHptJ
Pennsylvania State Police acted recklessly when troopers used a bulldozer to pursue a Grateful Dead fan caught growing marijuana on public land, killing him when he wound up under the machine’s treads, according to a civil rights lawsuit filed Monday.
Greg Longenecker’s family said state police had no business chasing him with a dangerous piece of machinery — especially over a few pot plants the 51-year-old was cultivating for personal use. His death last July, in a rural area about 75 miles (121 kilometers) outside of Philadelphia, also provoked outrage from a marijuana advocacy group
The worker, a Moldovan citizen, died of his injuries after falling from a roof.
A construction worker was killed this morning in a fall at a building site in Sapir Street in Harish.
The worker is a Moldovan citizen aged 35. He was badly injured in the fall, and despite attempts to revive him, was pronounced dead.
Nirel Ayish, a medic with medical emergency organization United Hatzalah of Israel said, “With other medics we carried out resuscitation procedures on the worker who fell from a roof at a building site and suffered from multiple injuries.
Unfortunately he was pronounced dead because of the nature of the severe injuries he sustained.” Israel Police said an investigation had been opened.
Bosses at Home Bargains have been fined £50,000 for safety failures after a lorry driver died whilst making a delivery to the Dudley store.
Gary Pickering, from Swinton in Manchester, was making a late-night delivery at the Churchill Precinct store’s underground delivery area when the fatal accident occurred.
The 34-year-old was in the process of getting the tail lift of the lorry into position on the loading platform when it closed onto his neck and head in September 2013.
The ‘devoted’ dad’s trapped body was discovered approximately two hours later by a security guard conducting patrols at the centre.