Category Archives: Safety News

Marina Square and Centrepoint fined by SCDF for fire safety breaches

Marina Square and Centrepoint fined by SCDF for fire safety breaches: Marina Square and Centrepoint shopping centres were found to have breached fire safety rules during a joint operation by the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) and police on Friday night.

The SCDF said in a statement on Saturday that Marina Square had, among other things, converted the use of vehicle parking lots to storage areas without the proper approvals.

Visit safety photos

2 Tonnes of asbestos found near childcare centres | The Australian

Tonnes of asbestos found near daycares | The Australian: THE environment watchdog has been called in after two tonnes of asbestos sheeting were found metres from two childcare centres in inner Sydney.

Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews and a hazmat team arrived at Wattle Lane, Ultimo, on Friday night.Two childcare centres are located metres from Wattle Lane: the KU Wattle Lane Children’s Centre and the Magic Pudding centre on McKee Street.FRNSW Inspector Chris Sedgwick said the asbestos material appeared to have been dumped.

Visit safety photos

Man in critical condition after cement mixer snagged his sweater and pulled him inside | Windsor Star

Man in critical condition after cement mixer accident | Windsor Star: A construction worker was clinging to life Friday after a cement mixer snagged his sweater and pulled him inside.

“He was just mixing a batch of cement and he got sucked in the mixer,” said Phil Pinsonneault, who was also working at the construction site. “One of the paddles must have caught him by the sweater or something. Once it catches you, it’s pretty strong, pulls you. So it obviously pulled him right in.”

Windsor police said the 47-year-old man was rushed to hospital in critical condition.

Visit safety photos

First-car policy ‘putting people’s health at risk’ – The Nation Bangkok

First-car policy ‘putting people’s health at risk’ – The Nation: More than 381,184 Bangkok commuters are suffering from respiratory diseases caused by air pollution that has been associated with traffic jams, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration revealed yesterday.
“The volume of cars in the capital has increased the existence of pollutants such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxide, nitrogen dioxide and tiny particles in the air,” BMA Deputy Governor Dr Malinee Sukvejvorakij said.

According to the BMA’s medical division, the number of people suffering from respiratory diseases such as asthma and allergies has risen drastically over the past seven years, with about 20,000 to 30,000 Bangkokians developing symptoms every year.

Visit safety photos

Austrian Captain vanishes in Indian Ocean — Austrian Times

Austrian Captain vanishes in Indian Ocean – General News – Austrian Times Online News – English Newspaper: A ship captain from Laa an der Thaya in Mistelbach in Lower Austria has vanished while en route with a container ship to Malaysia.

The 61-year-old who was described as an experienced captain was last seen on 20 November. When he didn’t turn up for duty the next day a search was made of the ship and it was discovered that he was missing.

Visit safety photos

Autopsy rules InterContinental Hotel smokestack death an accident | abc7chicago.com

Autopsy rules InterContinental Hotel smokestack death an accident | abc7chicago.com: December 14, 2012 (CHICAGO) —
Authorities say the death of 23-year-old man who fell 22-feet down a Chicago skyscraper smokestack was an accident.
STORY: Man dies after falling into hotel smokestack The Cook County medical examiner released autopsy results Friday for Nicholas Wieme, a native of Pipestone, Minn., who was living in Chicago.

Visit safety photos

Scaffolding collapses at Yiewsley building site – Uxbridge Gazette

Scaffolding collapses at Yiewsley building site – Uxbridge Gazette: SCAFFOLDING at a building site in Yiewsley has collapsed, with no-one reported injured.Two vehicles were crushed in the fall, which happened in High Street, Yiewsley, just before 4pm today (Friday).No one has been seriously injured, despite the devastating scene.
High winds are believed to be the cause.

Visit safety photos

Neston man jailed over Airbus back injury damages claim – BBC News –

BBC News – Neston man jailed over Airbus back injury damages claim: A man who claimed about �48,000 in compensation for a back injury but was filmed carrying building materials, has been jailed for contempt of court.
Adam Roberts, 33, of Neston, Cheshire, claimed for damages after hurting his back while working for Airbus in 2007.
Insurance firm QBE investigated and filmed him moving without difficulty.
Sentencing him to six months, Lord Justice Moore-Bick at the High Court, said were it not for video evidence a payout would have been “very likely”.

Visit safety photos

Worker dies as air cylinder bursts

 SARGODHA (APP): A young man was killed while another two received injuries at a tyre shop situated within Laksian police limits on Thursday. Police said that Muhammad Asif (20),resident of Jallah Makhdoom (Kot Momin),was working at a tyre shop when the air tank burst under high pressure. As a result,the young man died on the spot while the other two were injured.

Worker dies as air cylinder bursts 

Posted by Stoker via Blogaway

Boss of rat-plagued West End bistro faces court – News – Scotsman.com

A RESTAURATEUR at a rat-infested French bistro in the West End has been summoned to court after admitting failing to provide adequate pest control.

Pierre Pelletier, who runs Le Marché Francais at 9A West Maitland Street, was visited by environmental health officers on April 7 last year.

The inspection found electrical equipment had not been maintained to a reasonable standard and he was charged with failing to ensure the health, safety and welfare of his employees.

Health bosses visited again the following day and discovered rat droppings and rat holes in the two large basement store rooms.

“Smear marks and gnawing consistent with the presence of rats was identified and rat fur was also noted,” the report said.

The restaurant was criticised for its levels of cleanliness and for not ensuring the food premises were kept in good condition and repair.

The charges state there were insufficient measures taken in the layout of the premises to protect against contamination, including rats and rat urine.

 Boss of rat-plagued West End bistro faces court – News – Scotsman.com 

Posted by Stoker via Blogaway