Chinese worker dead in Indonesian high-speed rail project in Jakarta | South China Morning Post

A fire broke out on a pipeline operated by Indonesian state oil and gas company Pertamina in West Java province on Tuesday, killing a Chinese construction worker, a local fire official said.

Local media said the fire had broken after drilling work was carried out as part of the construction of a China-funded US$6 billion

high-speed railway project

linking Jakarta and Bandung, the capital of West Java.

The railway is currently China’s only Belt and Road project in the country.

Pertamina halted fuel distribution through the pipeline temporarily, a company spokeswoman Dewi Sri Utami, told reporters.

via Chinese worker dead in Indonesian high-speed rail project in Jakarta | South China Morning Post.

BREAKING: City Worker Killed by Fellow Crew Member on Upper East Side – Streetsblog New York City

A worker with the Department of Transportation was killed when another member of the road crew paving an Upper East Side street backed up and rolled over him with a department vehicle, police said.

Eduardo Calleabril, 44, was killed on Tuesday morning on E. 88th Street between East End and York avenues at around 1 a.m. According to cops, his unidentified co-worker, 35, backed a Mack dump truck over him, causing him to fall and be crushed by the truck. Workers called 911, but Calleabril could not be saved.

“It’s an accident,” a police spokesman said. “There is no criminality suspected.”

via BREAKING: City Worker Killed by Fellow Crew Member on Upper East Side – Streetsblog New York City.

Ex landlord escapes jail after woman paralysed falling down stairs in pub – CoventryLive

A woman who had been left to sleep in the bar of a Bedworth pub suffered catastrophic injuries when she woke in the middle of the night and fell down the cellar steps.

Lea Kinder, a regular at the Cricketers Arms, thought she had woken up on her settee, got up and opened the door to what she thought was her toilet but instead fell down the steep cellar stairs and knocked herself unconscious.

She was only found at 8.40am in the morning, and is now totally paralysed in in both legs, with minimal use of her arms and has difficulty breathing.

Warwick Crown Court heard the door to the cellar, which led directly from the lounge bar, had no handle on it and could be opened just by pushing or leaning on it.

Ben Mills, prosecuting for Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council, said “anyone…choosing to lean against it would have been straight down the steps”.

via Ex landlord escapes jail after woman paralysed falling down stairs in pub – CoventryLive.

OSHA fines N.J. company 3rd time in a row after worker lost 2 fingers in machine – nj.com

South Jersey branch of a national fence company was cited for nearly $400,000 for what labor officials said were repeated safety violations at their facility.

Aruvil International must pay $370,298 in penalties for violations at its Pennsauken facility, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) said in a statement.

via OSHA fines N.J. company 3rd time in a row after worker lost 2 fingers in machine – nj.com.

Thistle Housing Association served with asbestos improvement notice – Scottish Housing News

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has served a Statutory Improvement Notice on Thistle Housing Association in relation to its management of asbestos.

The safety body took the action on August 22 after it decided that Thistle had failed to comply with regulations on the control of asbestos.

Thistle is required to comply with the Improvement Notice by November 15 and has appointed expert consultants to help it.

The action was revealed in an updated engagement plan in which the Scottish Housing Regulator updated the progress of its statutory intervention at Thistle.

The Regulator used its statutory powers of intervention to appoint a manager and five members to Thistle’s governing body in August 2018 after it identified serious and widespread failures at Thistle to comply with the regulatory standards of governance and financial management and to meet outcome two of the Scottish Social Housing Charter.

https://www.scottishhousingnews.com/article/thistle-housing-association-served-with-asbestos-improvement-notice

Takeaway slapped with hefty fine due to safety breaches | The Argus

A TAKEAWAY owner has been slapped with a hefty fine because his restaurant breached safety regulations.

There was no fire alarm system and fire chiefs said the list of failings was “incredibly troubling”.

Lian Jian Shong, owner of Golden House in Surrey Street, Littlehampton, appeared at Worthing Magistrates Court for the hearing against him on October 11. He pleaded guilty to three counts of breaching the Regulatory Reform Order 2005.

Other breaches included inadequate means of escape from first floor, dangerous electrics, inadequate general fire precautions, and no fire risk assessment in place.

via Takeaway slapped with hefty fine due to safety breaches | The Argus.

Engineer dies following serious industrial accident at Co-op shop in Perth – The Courier

The 51-year-old male was airlifted to Ninewells Hospital after being injured while attending to a lift in the Co-op shop on Main Street in Bridgend on October 11.

Emergency services, including the air ambulance, rushed to the scene to attend to the stricken engineer but the man succumbed to his injuries in hospital on Thursday.

A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: “Officers attended a shop on Main Street, Perth, the morning of Friday, October 11 following a report of an industrial accident within the premises.

“A 51-year-old man was taken to Ninewells Hospital, Dundee, for treatment, but died of his injuries on Thursday, October 17.

via Engineer dies following serious industrial accident at Co-op shop in Perth – The Courier.

Johnson & Johnson recalls its Baby Powder after FDA finds asbestos in sample | The BMJ

Image by psyco72 from Pixabay

Johnson & Johnson, which for decades has insisted that its Baby Powder contains zero asbestos, has recalled one lot of the product—about 33 000 bottles—after the US Food and Drug Administration found asbestos in a sample bought online.

The company said that it was acting from “an abundance of caution” in withdrawing the lot numbered 22318RB, although the FDA advised consumers who had bought Baby Powder from that lot to “stop using it immediately.”

The FDA said that it had tested bottles from two different lots and found chrysotile asbestos—the type most associated with adverse health effects—in one of them. The agency has a long running programme of buying consumer products itself and testing them.1

Johnson & Johnson said in a statement that the FDA had found only “sub-trace levels of chrysotile asbestos contamination (no greater than 0.00002%).”2 The company was unable to confirm whether the tested product was authentic or counterfeit or whether it had somehow been cross contaminated before or during testing.

via Johnson & Johnson recalls its Baby Powder after FDA finds asbestos in sample | The BMJ.