Restaurant owner fined after disturbance of asbestos – HSE Media Centre

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that a management asbestos survey and a refurbishment and demolition asbestos survey had not been completed prior to the work starting, and the work had not been completed by a licenced asbestos contractor.

Faruk Kamali of Lower Southend Road, Wickford, Essex pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 4(3) of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 and was fined £3,000 and ordered to pay full costs of £6,293.

After the hearing HSE inspector David King said “Those in control of works have a responsibility to manage the risks from asbestos in non-domestic premises. To achieve this the dutyholder must ensure that a suitable and sufficient assessment is carried out as to whether asbestos is or is liable to be present in the premises.”

Further information about client’s duties can be found at http://www.hse.gov.uk/construction/cdm/2015/commercial-clients.htm

via Restaurant owner fined after disturbance of asbestos – HSE Media Centre.

 

Even More Asbestos Found In Claire’s Makeup Products | HuffPost UK

The tween retailer Claire’s has been hit with another product recall after asbestos was found in more of their cosmetic products, three months after the Food and Drug Administration found the same substance in other cosmetics.

The FDA said Friday that Claire’s voluntarily recalled its JoJo Siwa Makeup set (SKU #888711136337, Batch/Lot No. S180109). Beauty Plus, a company based in Shanghai, also voluntarily recalled its Global Contour Effects Palette 2 (Batch No. S1603002/PD-C1179) for the same reason.

Asbestos is a mineral fiber that once was commonly used in building construction materials and is a known carcinogen. Exposure to asbestos fibers and particles may cause lung disease.

via Even More Asbestos Found In Claire’s Makeup Products | HuffPost UK.

Firefighters extinguish asbestos fire at Kibbutz Harel

Firefighters were dispatched Sunday morning to extinguish an asbestos fire in Kibbutz Harel, after several homes in the community were destroyed Thursday in a devastating firestorm.

A special hazardous materials (Hazmat) team of firefighters was sent in to the kibbutz, which is located about 4.5 miles north of Beit Shemesh, after it was found that asbestos-cement (referred to sometimes as AC sheet) was burning at the ruins of several homes in Harel.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/263677

Asbestos dumped at Wigan nature reserve – Wigan Today

Wigan wildlife volunteers have slammed flytippers who left a container full of asbestos in a nature reserve.

Members of the ‘Friends of Three Sisters’ group were shocked to find a large trolley with a plastic wrapped bundle full of the hazardous material dumped in plain sight in the Ashton wildlife park.

The waste is believed to have been dumped on Thursday, May 2 between 12pm and 1.30pm.

 

“It is absolutely unbelievable,” said Vic Greenwood, a founding member of the group.

via Asbestos dumped at Wigan nature reserve – Wigan Today.

More than 200 teachers died from asbestos – and kids are at risk in classroom – Mirror Online

More than 200 teachers have died in the past 10 years from the effects of being exposed to asbestos.

And for each teacher fatality, nine ex-pupils can also be expected to fall victim to the silent killer, a study claims – an average of almost 200 per year.

Breathing in asbestos fibres can lead to mesothelioma, a cancer that develops in the lining of the lungs and can strike years or even decades after exposure.

via More than 200 teachers died from asbestos – and kids are at risk in classroom – Mirror Online.

Worker who helped clear up after COD Donnington blaze died from exposure to asbestos | Shropshire Star

Peter Henry Brittain, 77, of Haygate Road, Wellington, was a retired groundsman for Telford Council, and had worked in the aftermath of the 1983 fire.

A fast track inquest into his death, held at Shirehall on Wednesday, heard how he lived alone and passed away on April 24.

He had worked to remove a large amount of asbestos following the fire.

via Worker who helped clear up after COD Donnington blaze died from exposure to asbestos | Shropshire Star.

Sydney roadway asbestos triggers budget blowouts

The cost of removing and disposing asbestos being uncovered on Sydney road projects is surging well above $100 million, blowing out budgets and forcing the state government to raid other projects to cover funding shortfalls.

On one road initiative – the M4 Smart Motorway between Mays Hill and Lapstone – the amount of asbestos uncovered has added more than $70 million to the estimated cost of a project that had been budgeted at $470 million.

The increasing discovery of asbestos on road projects has also triggered mixed messages from the government about the best way to treat or remove the hazardous material – and about how to communicate those options to the community.

via Sydney roadway asbestos triggers budget blowouts.

Neighbors, politicians, ‘whistleblowers’ join escalating asbestos fight in Newport

For over a month, members of the Delaware AFL-CIO have been protesting the massive demolition of the long-shuttered General Motors plant in Newport, claiming video footage of non-union work inside shows dangerous asbestos “snow” wafting over the site.  

While the protests triggered a call to police last month, more recently they have prompted an “inquiry” from state environmental investigators. They have spoken with demolition workers who said that supervisors at their employer, Ecoservices LLC, directed them to hide in trailers when federal regulators conducted a site inspection, according to all three of the workers.  

via Neighbors, politicians, ‘whistleblowers’ join escalating asbestos fight in Newport.

Facility Managers in Puerto Rico Advised to Test Fire Curtains for Asbestos Hazards | WebWire

Fire curtains, also referred to as safety curtains, are a fire safety device used in theaters and auditoriums. Modern fire curtains are often made of fiberglass or iron, but in the past they were typically made with asbestos due to the minerals unique fire resistant properties of being non-flammable and non-combustible.
 
Unfortunately, many original fire curtains that contain asbestos can still be found in buildings. Earlier this year there were news reports about theaters in New Hampshire and Connecticut that were replacing asbestos-containing fire curtains with new curtains that did not contain the carcinogenic fibers. Just last year, an auditorium at a university in South Carolina had to be temporarily closed after asbestos was discovered following an annual test of the facility’s fire curtain found asbestos fibers on the stage and not surprisingly in the material used in the fire curtain itself.

via Facility Managers in Puerto Rico Advised to Test Fire Curtains for Asbestos Hazards | WebWire.

Grandma who died from asbestos exposure lost SEVEN relatives to same condition – Examiner Live

A great-grandmother, who died from exposure to asbestos, lost seven relatives following their exposure to the deadly insulation material.

Celia Brackenbury, 82, died in August from mesothelioma, a cancer of the lung lining most commonly caused by exposure to asbestos.

An inquest, at Wakefield Coroner’s Court earlier this month, concluded that Ms Brackenbury, from Liversedge , had died from industrial disease.

Before her death Ms Brackenbury had lost seven relatives, including a brother, uncles and a nephew, to conditions linked to asbestos, her solicitors Irwin Mitchell said.

via Grandma who died from asbestos exposure lost SEVEN relatives to same condition – Examiner Live.