Waste management company fined after worker suffers leg amputation

Waste management company, Peter Norris (Haulage) Ltd has been fined £140,000 after an agency worker suffered lower leg amputation after being struck by a moving excavator.

Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard that on 12 September 2017, the worker, who had been observing a tipping activity in the blind spot of the excavator, had his leg crushed by the machine which had reversed to accommodate another vehicle tipping off waste in an adjacent part of the site.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found no evidence of any system whereby new agency hired staff were shown the site’s safety rules, meaning the injured worker was unaware he was to stand in the safe refuge areas whilst vehicles were moving around the site.

Peter Norris (Haulage) Ltd of Tower Bridge House, St Katharine’s Way, London, pleaded guilty to a breach of Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. The company was fined £140,000 and was ordered to pay full costs of £9,322.48.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector John Spence said: “This incident was entirely preventable and has caused a permanent and life-changing injury to a young agency worker.

“The company failed to implement an adequate system of monitoring of agency workers on site who were therefore, in effect, left to manage themselves without necessary oversight from the company.

“Any company that uses agency workers are required to extend the same duty of care to them as their own direct employee.”

 

Notes to Editors

  1. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is Britain’s national regulator for workplace health and safety. We prevent work-related death, injury and ill health through regulatory actions that range from influencing behaviours across whole industry sectors through to targeted interventions on individual businesses. These activities are supported by globally recognised scientific expertise. www.hse.gov.uk
  2. More about the legislation referred to in this case can be found at: www.legislation.gov.uk/
  3. HSE news releases are available at http://press.hse.gov.uk

 

The post Waste management company fined after worker suffers leg amputation appeared first on HSE Media Centre.

from HSE Media Centre https://ift.tt/3bVOqAf
via IFTTT

Ferry’s ‘disorientated’ master suffered ‘cognitive overload’ before colliding with moored yacht in fog | Isle of Wight News from OnTheWight

Ferry’s ‘disorientated’ master suffered ‘cognitive overload’ before colliding with moored yacht in fog

The report concludes that the helmsman and master were both insufficiently practised at steering the vessel in thick fog by using just the instruments

An investigation by the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) into the collision of the Red Falcon ferry into a moored yacht in Cowes Harbour on 21st October 2018 has concluded.

The report reveals that Red Falcon – with a gross tonnage of 4,128 – collided with the yacht, Greylag, after the master became disorientated in the fog and inadvertently drove the ferry in the wrong direction. The yacht was a total loss, but no members of the crew or public were injured.

via Ferry’s ‘disorientated’ master suffered ‘cognitive overload’ before colliding with moored yacht in fog | Isle of Wight News from OnTheWight.

Electric fly killer above food preparation table just one of many hygiene failures at well-known tea room | Isle of Wight News from OnTheWight

No water or soap in the staff toilets, cutlery on the floor, food debris built up in fridge seals, electric fly killer positioned above food preparation table, and more, were discovered during the inspection. The Front of House manager said the issues were structural-related and they will fix what they can fix

A well-known Isle of Wight restaurant and tea room has been given a one-star hygiene rating.

Isle of Wight Council environmental officers found God’s Providence House in St Thomas’s Square had generally poor standards of hygiene, with peeling paintwork, a mouldy patch of ceiling and an electric fly killer positioned above the food preparation table.

via Electric fly killer above food preparation table just one of many hygiene failures at well-known tea room | Isle of Wight News from OnTheWight.

HSE to carry out inspections following safety alert

HSE is reminding employers that they must protect their workers’ health by controlling the risks from welding fume.

The Health and Safety Executive’s (HSE) current programme of inspections will review health and safety standards across the country and businesses are encouraged to visit HSE’s revised guidance to remind themselves of the changes to control expectations.

To protect your workers’ health, you must ensure you have adequate controls in place to avoid or reduce exposure to welding fume. Employers should be using local exhaust ventilation where effective and provide suitable respiratory protective equipment where necessary to protect workers in the metal fabrication industry from inhaling fumes.

The inspections follow a safety alert that was issued in February 2019 after new evidence showed exposure to mild steel welding fume can cause cancer and HSE updated guidance to reflect this.

Scientific evidence from the International Agency for Research on Cancer shows that exposure to mild steel welding fume can cause lung cancer and possibly kidney cancer in humans.

John Rowe, Head of Manufacturing at HSE said: “Employers and workers should know the risk, plan their work and use the right controls when welding activity is carried out. If they are not HSE will use enforcement to bring about improvements.”

“It is our mission that all workers are protected and are not made ill or killed by their work. Everyone should be able to leave work and go home healthy and safe.”

HSE has a range of guidance to help you protect your workers and COSHH advice sheets to help you control risk from hazardous substances in welding. You can also sign up to our newsletter to receive ongoing information and follow us on Twitter @H_S_E.

Notes to Editors:

  1. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is Britain’s national regulator for workplace health and safety. We prevent work-related death, injury and ill health through regulatory actions that range from influencing behaviours across whole industry sectors through to targeted interventions on individual businesses. These activities are supported by globally recognised scientific expertise. www.hse.gov.uk
  2. More about the legislation referred to in this case can be found at: www.legislation.gov.uk/
  3. HSE news releases are available at http://press.hse.gov.uk

The post HSE to carry out inspections following safety alert appeared first on HSE Media Centre.

from HSE Media Centre https://ift.tt/2SGyU3v
via IFTTT

Fat Harry’s latest food hygiene inspection: Flies in the potato peeler and smell of urine around potatoes | Isle of Wight News from OnTheWight

Image by Abdou Moussaoui from Pixabay

The fish and chip shop was re-inspected and given three stars, despite potatoes being stored where there was a very strong smell of urine, and flies flew out of the potato peeler

Detail has emerged of the latest inspection at a fish and chip shop fined £4,000 for food hygiene offences.

Fat Harry’s, on High Street, Sandown, has managed to turn around its hygiene rating — from a one to a three-star — despite some of the inspector’s findings.

Flies flew out of a potato peeling machine when the lid was removed, and there was a strong smell of urine — possibly cat — where the potatoes were stored.

The Isle of Wight Council took Fat Harry’s to court in January following breaches found in a December 2018 inspection.

via Fat Harry’s latest food hygiene inspection: Flies in the potato peeler and smell of urine around potatoes | Isle of Wight News from OnTheWight.

HSE reacts to sentencing of man for threatening inspector

A senior inspector at Britain’s workplace regulator has stressed that the organisation will not tolerate violence, aggression or abuse of its staff after a man was sentenced for a public order offence.

A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspector was conducting an inspection of a waste and recycling site belonging to Jacob Alexander Thompson in August 2019.

Attending the Teesside premises on 23 August 2019, the inspector became aware of an individual pointing at him across the yard. The individual, Thompson, then crossed the yard towards the inspector, shouting obscenities.

When arriving on site, the inspector was subjected to repeated verbal abuse and offensive language and was physically threatened when Thompson stepped towards him and raised his fist as he aggressively told him to leave.

Jacob Alexander Thompson, 38, was sentenced on Monday 17 February 2020, at Teesside Magistrates’ Court following an investigation by Cleveland Police.

Principal inspector Victoria Wise said: “Thompson’s aggression, threats and abuse are wholly unacceptable. HSE will not tolerate any form of violence, aggression or abuse.

“Our inspectors are warranted to attend premises to carry out their job to ensure the safety and health of those working there. Any aggressive or violent words or actions taken against HSE staff in the course of their duties will be reported to the police.

“I would like to thank Cleveland Police for their help and support in dealing with this serious matter.”

Thompson of Mulberry Wynd, Stockton-on-Tees, pleaded guilty to an offence under Section 4 of the Public Order Act 1986. He was ordered to pay £100 compensation and costs of £85. He also received a conditional discharge of six months.

The post HSE reacts to sentencing of man for threatening inspector appeared first on HSE Media Centre.

from HSE Media Centre https://ift.tt/38FzDYt
via IFTTT