Hertfordshire County Council | Croxley Green pub fined £23,000 after diner’s Christmas meal triggered severe food allergy and intensive care

Photo by Oscar Nord on Unsplash

The Artichoke pub and restaurant has been fined £23,000 after being prosecuted by Hertfordshire Trading Standards for serving food to a customer who suffered a severe allergic reaction.

KOB (The Artichoke) Ltd pleaded guilty to offences under the Food Safety Act 1990 and Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013 at the hearing at Luton Magistrates’ Court yesterday (Monday).

In addition to the £23,000 fine, the company was ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £170 and make a payment of £1,920 Trading Standards costs.

via Hertfordshire County Council | Croxley Green pub fined £23,000 after diner’s Christmas meal triggered severe food allergy and intensive care.

Woman scalded while making tea awarded €56,000 by court

Photo by Suhyeon Choi on Unsplash

A woman who tried to make tea in a glass jug and was scalded when it exploded has been awarded €56,000 by the High Court.

The court accepted it was a custom in Slovakia to make tea in glass jugs and ruled Dunnes Stores should have labelled the jug with a warning that it was unsuitable for hot liquids.

Mr Justice Kevin Cross ruled Dunnes Stores was negligent in selling the jug made from a non-tempered glass without a warning label.

However, he ruled that Eva Cekanova, who is originally from Slovakia, and has lived in Ireland for a number of years was partially responsible for the accident because she should have checked if the jug was safe to use.

He made a finding of contributory negligence, ruling that she was 25% responsible.

via Woman scalded while making tea awarded €56,000 by court.

In the age of drones, these architects say it’s time to ditch scaffolding

MoD faces criticism as it admits widespread asbestos failings | UK news | The Guardian

The Ministry of Defence has admitted widespread failings in the management of asbestos across its estate, prompting accusations that it could have handed a “death sentence” to thousands of employees exposed to the carcinogen.

The government undertook a review of asbestos in relation to defence after it was revealed in July 2018 that thousands of staff could have come into contact with the substance on Sea King helicopters over a period of nearly 40 years.

via MoD faces criticism as it admits widespread asbestos failings | UK news | The Guardian.

Plastic bottles churn through waves on South African beach

A video captured and shared on social media by a member of The Litterboom Project, a Southafrican conservation initiative, showed plastic bottles and other litter being churned out onto a Durban beach by the waves.

from Reuters Video: Environment https://ift.tt/2qNnlfM https://ift.tt/2ElHptJ
via IFTTT

U.S. Department of Labor Reaches Settlement with Global Meat Supplier Following Safety and Health Citations at New Jersey Facility

December 12, 2019

from OSHA News Release https://ift.tt/34jiSPA
via IFTTThttps://ift.tt/2ATAOEY

Coach company fined after worker crushed underneath bus

A Lancashire coach company was fined after a father-of-three was fatally crushed while working underneath a double decker bus.

Chester Magistrates’ Court heard how on 14 June 2017, Wayne Lannon, a 46-year-old employee of Brian Finch, trading as F E Coaches, was carrying out repairs under a double decker bus in the car park of Chester Zoo. The bus had been supported by a hydraulic bottle jack and Mr Lannon had placed some wooden blocks underneath the stationary bus. The bus rolled backwards off the bottle jack, trapping Mr Lannon under the bus resulting in him sustaining fatal injuries. Wayne is survived by his wife, two daughters and a son.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the company did not have a safe system of work in place for preventing the bus from moving. The bus parking break had not been applied before Mr Lannon went under the bus and the bus was not chocked to prevent it from rolling off the jack. Brian Finch also failed to provide training and instructions to Mr Lannon in mechanical work or safe lifting of vehicles, and about the type of repairs that were suitable to be made outside of the workshop.

Brian Finch T/A F E Finch Coaches, of Moat House Street, Ince, Wigan, pleaded guilty to breaching section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 and was sentenced to six months custody, suspended for 18 months, and subject to a curfew (between the hours of 7pm-8am) for 30 months, with full costs of £9,381.

In a family statement, Wayne’s sister Keeley Unsworth, described how the loss of Wayne had left his family and friends with ‘shattered hearts’.

Keeley said: “Our brother was the greatest person. He was the perfect brother…, Wayne always believed in speaking kindly, always believed in helping others’.

“We are deeply saddened…his children will never feel or hear him again…we have no idea how we carry on, how we cope, how we live with the pain we are in”

HSE inspector Lianne Farrington said after the hearing: “This was a tragic and wholly avoidable incident, caused by the failure of Mr Finch to ensure there were adequate control measures in place, such as chocking the bus, and to implement safe systems of work. Had the company ensured that proper control measures were in place, Mr Lannon would not have lost his life.”

Notes to Editors:

  1. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is Britain’s national regulator for workplace health and safety. We prevent work-related death, injury and ill health through regulatory actions that range from influencing behaviours across whole industry sectors through to targeted interventions on individual businesses. These activities are supported by globally recognised scientific expertise. www.hse.gov.uk
  2. More about the legislation referred to in this case can be found at: www.legislation.gov.uk/
  3. More information on carrying out repairs safely under vehicles can be found at http://www.hse.gov.uk/mvr/mechanical-repair/under-vehicles.htm and http://www.hse.gov.uk/mvr/roadside-repair/buses.htm
  4. HSE news releases are available at http://press.hse.gov.uk

The post Coach company fined after worker crushed underneath bus appeared first on HSE Media Centre.

from HSE Media Centre https://ift.tt/35gd5vD
via IFTTT

PFAS pollution is widespread in Europe but risks are still poorly understood

People and the environment are exposed to a wide variety of extremely persistent chemicals known as PFAS, many of which are known to be toxic. A briefing by the European Environment Agency, published today, presents an overview of these chemicals, which continue to accumulate in people and the environment.

from News https://ift.tt/2E9jYmD
via IFTTT

Council workers