Potteries Demolition given fine for site security offence

Share

On 13 November 2012, Potteries Demolition Company Limited pleaded guilty at Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court to failing to comply with an Enforcement Notice.This had required them to ensure that perimeter fencing for their waste site was repaired in order to prevent unauthorised access.The company was fined £4,500, ordered to pay £15,000 in costs, along with a £15 victim surcharge.The charge was brought by the Environment Agency under the Environmental Permitting England & Wales Regulations 2010.Potteries Demolition Company Limited operate a waste site at Burnham Street, Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent, taking household, commercial and industrial waste. The processing of waste is controlled by an environmental permit regulated by the Environment Agency.A condition of the permit stated that there must be security measures in place to prevent unauthorised access to the site. The condition is there because there are potentially dangerous materials and plant on this industrial site, including excavators, scrap metal, demolition rubble and oil tanks. The site is bordered by a public park and is close to residential housing.Potteries Demolition ignored a series of warnings about the poor state of their perimeter fencing in late 2010 and early 2011. By April 2011, some sections of fencing had not been improved at all. As a result, the Environment Agency served an Enforcement Notice requiring that Potteries Demolition undertake repairs to the fencing by 17 May 2011.On 17 May, a further visit confirmed that the Enforcement Notice had not been complied with. Potteries Demolition did not attend an interview or respond to questions put to them under caution, by letter.The judge said that Potteries Demolition had failed to heed the Environment Agency’s warnings and had failed to take the Enforcement Notice seriously. He also told the company that the fine, which reflected their means, might have been far higher if any child had been injured on the site.Speaking after the case, Environment Agency Officer Paul Jeffcoat said: “These breaches of site security were a serious matter which potentially allowed unauthorised access and put people at risk. Permit conditions are in place for good reason. We will not hesitate to take enforcement action in such cases.”In mitigation, the Court was told that improvements were now being made to the perimeter fencing, and that there had been a change in the directorship of the company which would lead to better engagement with the Environment Agency in future.

via Environment Agency – Potteries Demolition given fine for site security offence.

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Gallagher plea to PM as asbestos talks fail with Commonwealth

Share

Gallagher plea to PM as asbestos talks fail: Talks aimed at resolving Canberra’s buried asbestos crisis have collapsed with the territory government accusing the Commonwealth of double standards.

The two sides are now deadlocked on who will pay the hundreds of millions of dollars to clean up more than 100 sites around the capital where deposits of the deadly substance have been buried for decades.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Man dies after falling off vessel at East Coast – Singapore

Share

Man dies after falling off vessel at East Coast: A man has died after being found unconscious in the waters off East Coast on Tuesday.

The Singaporean ship chandler is believed to have fallen off a supply craft. The master of the craft then jumped in to save him.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Smelly colleagues are workers’ biggest bugbears – DutchNews.nl –

Share

DutchNews.nl – Smelly colleagues are workers’ biggest bugbears: An online survey into work hygiene by jobs website NationaleVacaturebank.nl shows that colleagues who smell of sweat are the number one irritant, the Telegraaf reports on Friday.

Second on the list are colleagues who don’t wash their hands after a visit to the toilet, third is bad breath, fourth is making sounds while eating and fifth, sniffing and blowing your nose too loudly.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Illegal waste processed at biogas plants, posing a threat to health – DutchNews.nl –

Share

DutchNews.nl – Illegal waste processed at biogas plants, posing a threat to health: Large amounts of illegal waste is being processed in fermentation plants used to generate biogas which could pose a risk to health, according to television current affairs show Reporter.

The Netherlands has some 150 fermentation plants which are used to generate gas based on organic matter which is, in turn, used to create electricity.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Sweet shop worker killed in boiler blast – Indian Express

Share

Sweet shop worker killed in boiler blast – Indian Express: An employee of Bengali Sweets, Manimajra, died in a blast that occurred in the manufacturing unit of the shop in Industrial Area, Phase II, on Thursday. Another worker suffered injuries and was admitted to Government Hospital, Sector 6 (GH-6), Panchkula.
According to the officials of fire and emergency services, the blast occurred due to excessive steaming at 6.45 am when Rambir Singh and Bodh Raj were working near the boiler, preparing the day’s stock. While Rambir died, Bodh Raj was injured. Shyam Singh, Rambir’s brother, called the police.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Firefighter sues his brigade for £150,000 after tripping up – Scotsman.com

Share

Firefighter sues his brigade for �150,000 after tripping up – Top stories – Scotsman.com: A FIREFIGHTER is suing a Scottish brigade for more than �150,000, claiming he tripped on loose door trimming in a fire engine and fell to the ground.

Robert Anderson says he hurt his back and remains on painkillers following the Boxing Day incident almost three ago.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Worker killed while removing massive tugboat propeller in Hartford : Stltoday

Share

Worker killed while removing massive tugboat propeller in Hartford : Stltoday: HARTFORD � •� A worker removing a four to five-ton propeller on a tugboat in Hartford was killed Thursday evening when the propeller fell onto him, knocking him into the Mississippi River, a fire official said.The man, in his 20s, was working on a dry dock at National Maintenance and Repair, which provides services to the river and rail industries. The incident happened shortly after 5 p.m. Hartford Fire Chief Dave Owens said he had been in the water for about 30 seconds when another worker pulled him from the water. �Workers were performing CPR on him when rescue crews arrived.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Worker killed by forklift in Oakland – SFGate

Share

Worker killed by forklift in Oakland – SFGate: A worker at an Oakland recycling company was killed Thursday morning when a forklift he was operating toppled over, causing a fatal head injury, authorities�said. The victim, a 34-year-old man whose name was not released, was using the forklift to raise a second forklift at Super Link Plastic Inc. at 888 92nd�Ave.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

CDC -(FACE)Program: Iowa Case Report ~ Bathtub refinishing technician died from inhalation of paint stripper vapors,

Share

In 2012, a 37-year-old female technician employed by a surface-refinishing business died from inhalation exposure to methylene chloride and methanol vapors while she used a chemical stripper to prep the surface of a bathtub for refinishing. The technician was working alone without respiratory protection or ventilation controls in a small bathroom of a rental apartment. When the technician did not pick up her children at the end of the day, her parents contacted her employer, who then called the apartment complex manager after determining the victim’s personal vehicle was still at the refinishing company’s parking lot. The apartment complex manager went to the apartment unit where the employee had been working and called 911 upon finding the employee unresponsive, slumped over the bathtub. City Fire Department responders arrived within 4 minutes of the 911 call. The apartment manager and first responders reported a strong chemical odor in the second story apartment. There was an uncapped gallon can of Klean Strip Aircraft® Low Odor Paint Remover (80-90% methylene chloride, 5-10% methanol) in the bathroom. The employee’s tools and knee pad were found in the tub, suggesting the employee had been kneeling and leaning over the tub wall to manually remove the loosened original bathtub finish coat.

The factors contributing to this lethal exposure include use of a highly concentrated methylene chloride chemical stripper having poor warning properties (“Low Odor”); working in a small room without local exhaust ventilation to remove chemical vapors or provide fresh air; and working without a respirator that could have protected the employee from exposure.

Bathtub refinishing technician died from inhalation of paint stripper vapors, Adobe PDF file [PDF 767 KB]

via CDC – Fatality Assessment and Control Evaluation(FACE)Program: Iowa Case Report 12IA009.

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web