Bakery infested with cockroaches – Stuff.co.nz

Share

A West Auckland bakery was shut down for two days when Auckland Council found a ”severe” cockroach infestation.

Kong Hour and You Sim Be – licensees of the Mekong Hot Bread Shop in Henderson – appeared in Waitakere District Court last week charged with breaching food hygiene regulations and will reappear there for sentencing next month.

A council environmental health officer made an unannounced visit to the Bruce McLaren Rd shop on July 2 and found it infested with cockroaches and uncovered further ”untidy conditions”.

The business was given an E-grade hygiene rating – the lowest possible – and shut down for two days for exterminators to be called in.

After a later inspection, the grading was adjusted to B, indicating a ”good level of compliance”.f

Bakery infested with cockroaches – Stuff.co.nz

New stain repellent chemical doubling in blood every 6 years. – Environmental Health News

Share

As the phased-out stain repellent PFOS steadily decreases in people, its replacement is rising rapidly at levels that are doubling every six years, a Swedish study shows. Levels of perfluorobutane sulfonate (PFBS) in the women’s blood rose 11 percent per year between 1996 and 2010. Whether there are any potential health effects of these exposures — which are still far lower than PFOS levels — is unknown.

New stain repellent chemical doubling in blood every 6 years. – Environmental Health News

Smallfor nursery received health and safety fine weeks before fire – Herts Advertiser

Share

JUST weeks before a fire ravaged Glinwell Nursery in Smallford its operators were fined around £18,000 for failing to carry out adequate health and safety training and risk assessments.

The company pleaded guilty to two offences on October 26 relating to a piece of equipment called the Mega Bio Chopper, which is used to chop biodegradable crops such as tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers.

Smallfor nursery received health and safety fine weeks before fire – Herts Advertiser

Dalton, Ga., chemical manufacturer cited by OSHA for 20 safety violations following explosion; proposed penalties total $77,000

Share

DALTON, Ga. – MFG Chemical Inc. in Dalton has been cited by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration for 20 safety violations following a plant explosion that resulted in the hospitalization of approximately 40 employees of other companies, working in the surrounding area, for decontamination. Proposed penalties total $77,000.

The May explosion was caused by a runaway reaction from an overheated reactor. During the production of coagulant 129, a compound used in water treatment, an increase in temperature caused the reactor to overpressurize, rupturing the dome cover and blowing a hole in the roof of the facility. In response to the incident, OSHA conducted an inspection under the agency’s national emphasis program on process safety management for covered chemical facilities.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=NEWS_RELEASES&p_id=23304

OSHA cites Mississippi Phosphates for 40 safety and health violations following 2 worker fatalities

Share

PASCAGOULA, Miss. – The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration has cited Mississippi Phosphates Corp. with 40 safety and health violations following the deaths of two workers in separate incidents at the company’s Pascagoula facilities. The fatalities led to comprehensive inspections by OSHA.

On May 22, an operator attempting to start up a steam turbine in sulfuric acid plant No. 2 was struck by flying metal debris when the turbine housing ruptured due to apparent overpressurization. In a similar incident on June 1, an operator restarting a tripped steam turbine in sulfuric acid plant No. 3 also was killed by flying metal debris when the turbine housing ruptured due to overpressurization.

OSHA has cited the company for three serious safety violations related to the fatalities, including exposing workers to “struck-by” hazards by not protecting them against overpressurization, and failing to maintain and service equipment in accordance with the company’s maintenance program to prevent overpressurization.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=NEWS_RELEASES&p_id=23301

Five workers in hospital after scaffold collapses – The Province

Share

Five workers injured when a scaffold collapsed Thursday during the installation of a massive staircase in a Shaughnessy home are still being treated in hospital.

The workers — employees of Surrey-based South Fraser Stairs — fell from their scaffold at about 6:35 p.m., plunging three metres into the basement, WorkSafe B.C. spokeswoman Ally Skinner-Reynolds said Friday.

Five workers in hospital after scaffold collapses – The Province

Raid on company over site death – The Canberra Times

Share

Police investigating one of Canberra’s recent workplace deaths have raided a NSW company as part of their inquiries.

ACT Policing officers had a search warrant and were accompanied by WorkSafe ACT inspectors when they went to premises outside Gosford on the central coast where the piece of machinery that killed builder Ben Catanzariti, 21, had recently been serviced.

The Canberra Times has obtained the routine maintenance report on the concrete pump compiled just weeks before Mr Catanzariti’s death on a Kingston Foreshore building site on July 21.

Raid on company over site death – The Canberra Times

Pub chain fined after fall from ladder killed cleaner – This is Bristol

Share

A PUB chain has been fined £235,000 for health and safety failings which contributed to the death of a cleaner.

Richard Pratley, 65, died from a fractured skull after falling from a ladder as he tried to clean the roof of the “boathouse” inside the Snuff Mill Harvester on Frenchay Park Road.

Pub chain fined after fall from ladder killed cleaner – This is Bristol

Patient killed in oxygen explosion as a second dies in broken lift: Damning … – Daily Mail

Share

A horrifying catalogue of serious errors at NHS hospitals in Scotland has come to light, following a Freedom of Information request.

They include a report from NHS Lothian where a patient on oxygen therapy died in an explosion after lighting a cigarette in a hospital toilet.

Patient killed in oxygen explosion as a second dies in broken lift: Damning … – Daily Mail

Employers warned on overtime – Taipei Times

Share

Employers warned on overtime – Taipei Times: The number of companies that abuse the “job responsibility system” in Taipei is increasing, Taipei’s Department of Labor Affairs said yesterday, as it warned employers about violating labor laws by making employees work overtime.

According to the latest information from the department, the number of cases in violation of the Labor Standards Act (勞動基準法) reached 523 this year, with overtime work accounting for 199 cases, while there were 142 cases where employees were not given sufficient holidays.

Visit safety photos