Scaffold firm guilty of safety failures – National – NZ Herald News

Share

Scaffold firm guilty of safety failures – National – NZ Herald News: A Rotorua man was knocked unconscious and spent two days in hospital after he fell from scaffolding when it gave way, the Rotorua District Court has been told.

Whakatane-based company Cobweb Scaffolding was found guilty yesterday of a charge of hiring scaffolding to a Rotorua couple to be used in a place of work and failing to take all practicable steps to ensure the scaffolding was maintained so it was safe for its intended use. The company had pleaded not guilty to the charge brought against it under the Health and Safety in Employment Act.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Man suffocates to death in faulty lift in Mumbai | NDTV.com

Share

Man suffocates to death in faulty lift in Mumbai | NDTV.com: Mumbai:�Krishnakant Jha (48) reached Pratik Building in Thakur Complex at 3.30 to fix a lift that was not functioning for the past two days. He proceeded to the lift room on the fifth floor and is assumed to have taken the lift to the first floor, where it appears to have got stuck.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Three Fatalities Involving Diving Work – Workplace Safety and Health Council – Singapore

Share

Workplace Safety and Health Council: Diving is an essential part of many work activities in the marine industries but it can be dangerous if not planned or managed well.

In 2012, 3 fatalities arose from separate cases involving commercial diving work. 2 divers drowned while performing vessel alignment work in docks (January and September 2012). 1 was lost at sea during underwater hull cleaning and was later found dead by search parties (May 2012). The commonalities in all 3 cases included:

a) The deceased’s diving partner had surfaced and only then realised that the deceased was missing;
b) The Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus (SCUBA) system was used.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Scaffold firm guilty of safety failures | Bay of Plenty Times

Share

Scaffold firm guilty of safety failures | Bay of Plenty Times: A Rotorua man was knocked unconscious and spent two days in hospital after he fell from scaffolding when it gave way, the Rotorua District Court has been told.
Whakatane-based company Cobweb Scaffolding was found guilty yesterday of a charge of hiring scaffolding to a Rotorua couple to be used in a place of work and failing to take all practicable steps to ensure the scaffolding was maintained so it was safe for its intended use. The company had pleaded not guilty to the charge brought against them under the Health and Safety in Employment Act.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Norfolk Southern Railway Co. ordered by OSHA to pay more than $288,000 for violating Federal Railroad Safety Act

Share

SAVANNAH, Ga. – The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration has found that Norfolk Southern Railway Co. violated the whistleblower protection provisions of the Federal Railroad Safety Act and ordered the company to pay more than $288,000, including for back pay, interest, mental anguish, punitive damages and reasonable attorney’s fees. This action follows several other orders issued by OSHA against Norfolk Southern Railway Co. in the past two years. Investigations have found that the company continues to retaliate against workers for reporting work-related injuries, effectively created a chilling effect within the railroad industry.

Additionally, the company has been ordered to expunge the disciplinary record of the employee as well as post a notice regarding employees’ whistleblower protection rights under the FRSA and provide training to its employees about these rights.

via 2012 – 11/29/2012 – Norfolk Southern Railway Co. ordered by US Labor Department to pay more than $288,000 for violating Federal Railroad Safety Act.

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Shard of metal in Hungry Jack’s onion ring – Perth

Share

Shard of metal in Hungry Jack’s onion ring: Fast food giant Hungry Jack’s is on trial for selling unsuitable food after a Perth mother coughed up a piece of metal shaving lodged inside an onion ring.Hungry Jack’s has pleaded not guilty although the company admits a 1.5 cm metal shard was found inside an onion ring from a Hungry Jack’s store in Morley and sold to Cervasham-woman Melissa Bayle in February.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Wallula, WA: Worker injured in forklift accident at Wallula’s Railex | Latest News | Tri-CityHerald.com

Share

Wallula, WA: Worker injured in forklift accident at Wallula’s Railex | Latest News | Tri-CityHerald.com: Wallula, WA — A worker was injured at shipping company Railex’s cold storage facility near Wallula on Wednesday after he was trapped by a forklift around 4:30 p.m.The worker’s left leg was pinned by the dual wheel steering system of the battery-powered forklift, said Chief Mike Wickstrom of Walla Walla Fire District 5.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Maple Reinders Constructors Ltd. Fined $55,000 After Worker Injured

Share

Guelph, ON – Maple Reinders Constructors Ltd., a Mississauga construction company, was fined $55,000 for a violation of the Occupational Health and Safety Act after a worker was injured.

On September 20, 2010, workers were building a waste processing facility in Guelph. They were stripping forms from a concrete wall that had finished curing. One worker climbed to the top of the wall to remove a form. The worker rigged that form to a crane and tied off to an adjacent form. As a second worker was prying the first form from the wall, the movement loosened the form the first worker was tied to. This form tipped over, bringing the worker with it. The worker suffered leg injuries. 

A Ministry of Labour investigation found that workers normally leave one or two metal rods in forms before they are stripped off to brace them against falling. In this instance the last rod in the form that fell had been removed and then replaced before the worker tied off to the form.

Maple Reinders Constructors Ltd. pled guilty to failing to ensure the forms were moved in a way that would not endanger a worker.

The fine was imposed by Justice of the Peace Zeljana Radulovic. In addition to the fine, the court imposed a 25-per-cent victim fine surcharge, as required by the Provincial Offences Act. The surcharge is credited to a special provincial government fund to assist victims of crime.

http://news.ontario.ca/mol/en/2012/11/maple-reinders-constructors-ltd-fined-55000-after-worker-injured.html

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Man loses hand to electric wood splitter – – Salzburg Times

Share

Man loses hand to electric wood splitter – General News – Salzburg Times Online News – English Newspaper: Doctors at the Unfallkrankenhaus in Salzburg have reattached a man’s hand after it was cut off in a freak accident involving a wood splitter.

The 76-year-old from the Salzburg province of Flachgau was rushed into hospital on 28 November 2012 (yesterday). He had been working in his garden and accidentally cut off his right hand with the electric wood splitter he had been using.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Brush With Death -Romanian Times Online News

Share

Brush With Death – Around the World News – Romanian Times Online News – English Newspaper: A 60-year-old driver whose head was impaled on a metal broom handle during a crash has survived after a painstaking seven hour operation to remove it from his skull in Vidnoe, Russia.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web