OSHA cites Certifit Inc. with safety violations for exposing workers to electrical and fall hazards in San Antonio

Share

SAN ANTONIO – The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration has cited Salt Lake City-based Certifit Inc. with two repeat and one serious violation from an August follow-up inspection for continuing to expose workers to fall and electrical hazards at the company’s San Antonio work site on Sonterra Boulevard. Proposed penalties total $71,500.

The initial January inspection, which resulted in $12,000 in fines, determined that defective rolling ladders exposed workers to fall hazards, and the employer failed to ensure a competent, on-site person was trained and certified in first aid. The August inspection resulted in the same repeat violations. A repeat violation exists when an employer previously has been cited for the same or a similar violation of a standard, regulation, rule or order at any other facility in federal enforcement states within the last five years.

“This employer continues to jeopardize the safety of its workers,” said Kelly C. Knighton, the agency’s area director in San Antonio. “Employers have a responsibility to ensure a healthful and safe workplace environment.”

via 2012 – 12/12/2012 – US Labor Department’s OSHA cites Certifit Inc. with safety violations for exposing workers to electrical and fall hazards in San Antonio.

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Pub to pay nearly £14k (From Salisbury Journal)

Share

A NEW Forest pub has been ordered to pay nearly £14,000 after fresh rodent droppings were found in its kitchen and potatoes had been gnawed by rats.

The droppings were discovered by council environmental health officers when they paid a surprise visit to the Red Shoot in Linwood in May this year.

 Pub to pay nearly £14k (From Salisbury Journal) 

Posted by Stoker via Blogaway

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Ex-BPI worker sues ABC, Oliver over ‘pink slime’

Share

 SIOUX FALLS, S.D. — A former worker at a South Dakota beef processor is suing ABC News, celebrity chef Jamie Oliver and a food blogger, saying their use of the phrase “pink slime” to describe one of the company’s products led to him losing his job.

Bruce Smith, 58, is among about 750 people who were laid off at Beef Products Inc. in the wake of what the company called a misinformation campaign in social media and news reports about the product: lean, finely textured beef.

In May, Beef Products Inc. closed three plants – one each in Texas, Kansas and Iowa – and laid off workers at its corporate headquarters in South Dakota.

Smith, of Dakota Dunes, was the company’s senior counsel and director of Environmental, Health & Safety. He filed a civil suit Tuesday in Dakota County District Court in Nebraska seeking $70,000 in damages.

Ex-BPI worker sues ABC, Oliver over ‘pink slime’ 

Posted by Stoker via Blogaway

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

OSHA cites Bontrager Excavating Ltd. in Uniontown, Ohio, for failing to protect workers in trench

Share

UNIONTOWN, Ohio – The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration has cited Bontrager Excavating Ltd. in Uniontown with three willful safety violations for failing to protect workers from cave-ins during trenching operations. OSHA initiated the inspection in June after receiving a complaint alleging unsafe working conditions. Proposed penalties total $115,500.

“Bontrager Excavating has again failed to take adequate safety measures to protect their workers from cave-ins at excavation sites despite having lost employees in the past as a result of failing to follow these industry-specific standards,” said Howard Eberts, OSHA’s area director in Cleveland. “OSHA implemented a trenching and excavation special emphasis programs in the 1980s, so the industry is well aware of the safety regulations for trenching operations.”

OSHA placed Bontrager Excavating in its Severe Violator Enforcement Program in 2011, after one worker was killed and another injured in a trench collapse in December 2010 in Stark County. The program focuses on recalcitrant employers that endanger workers by committing willful, repeat or failure-to-abate violations. Under the program, OSHA may inspect any of the employer’s facilities or job sites. For more information, visit http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=DIRECTIVES&p_id=4503.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=NEWS_RELEASES&p_id=23397

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

SAICA Pack UK Ltd & MD Engineering Services (UK) Ltd fined after forklift accident

Share

Two North East firms have been fined after a worker suffered serious head injuries when the fork of a forklift truck struck him on the forehead.

Jim McGowan, 66, of Felling, Gateshead, was employed by MD Engineering Services (UK) Ltd when the incident happened on 15 December 2010.

The company had secured a contract to remove redundant machinery and equipment at the premises of SAICA Pack UK Ltd in Queensway, Hartlepool and he was carrying out the work with a colleague who was driving the forklift truck.

Mr McGowan was working to remove a piece of equipment from a mezzanine platform and had bent over ready to hook a lifting sling onto the fork of the forklift truck.

As the forks were raised, the right hand fork became caught on the stop bracket of the gate to the mezzanine. The driver was unaware and continued to raise the forks. The force was great enough to shear the bracket, releasing the fork which sprung upwards striking Mr McGowan on the forehead.

He suffered a double fracture to the skull, facial fractures and a fractured eye socket and continues to suffer both physically and mentally from the incident.

Hartlepool Magistrates’ Court heard today (12 December) that an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that SAICA Pack UK Ltd had failed to ensure the work was carried out by competent persons and that its control of contractors was inadequate.

The investigation also established that MD Engineering Services (UK) Ltd had failed to adequately assess, plan and carry out the lifting operation or ensure that the workers sent to do the job had not been properly trained.

SAICA Pack UK Ltd, of Eastmount Road, Darlington was fined £13,000 and ordered to pay £5,489.40 in costs after pleading guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.

MD Engineering Services (UK) Ltd, of Blackthorn Way, Fencehouses, Houghton-le-Spring was fined £4,000 and ordered to pay £4,600 in costs after pleading guilty to breaching Regulation 8(1)(c) of the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998.

After the hearing, HSE Inspector Victoria Wise added:

“What happened on that day was totally preventable. Both companies failed in their duty of care to Mr McGowan and as a result he suffered serious head injuries.

“It clearly illustrates the importance of ensuring that lifting operations are properly planned and managed by a competent person.”

A father of two, with five grandchildren, Mr McGowan had hoped to continue working but the ongoing effects of his injuries have now forced him to retire.

He does not feel up to talking independently about his experiences, but speaking on his behalf his wife Brenda explained:

“Jim loved his job, he’d been in the trade for 49 years and had been self-employed working with MD Engineering for the last eight years. He really misses it, but he’s just not able to continue working now.

“He gets ongoing support from a support worker, case manager, physiotherapist and a psychologist. He still suffers short-term memory loss and it’s also affected his hearing, balance and taste, and we don’t know in the long term whether that will ever improve.

“It’s had a big impact on us both and the family. It’s changed everything. He was once so active and independent but now I have to spend more and more time with him, as you worry all the time if he’s safe.

“I hope that this case will help highlight the importance of safety, companies cannot afford to cut corners on safety putting people’s lives at risk. Jim was lucky, he could have been killed in this terrible incident and I just hope we can help stop anything like this happening to anyone else.”

via RNN media information for journalists and the press – Press Releases – TWO NORTH EAST FIRMS FINED AFTER WORKER SUFFERED SERIOUS HEAD INJURIES – RNN media information for journalists and the press.

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Waste site run illegally – “Any uncontrolled handling of waste can harm human health and pollute the environment.”

Share

Waste site run illegally

A man who stored and treated waste vehicles and parts without a permit has been fined £2,000 and ordered to pay a contribution of £2,000 towards costs.

Peterborough Magistrates’ Court heard today (Wed) that between 7 December 2011 and 22 February 2012, Maher Khater ran the vehicle dismantling business from premises at the former timber yard, First Drove, Peterborough, without the proper authorisation of an environmental permit.

Ms Holly Webb, prosecuting for the Environment Agency said: “This was a deliberate breach, Mr Khater was spoken to about similar activities in 2010.”

After the hearing, Environment Agency officer Graham Cantellow said: “Un-depolluted waste vehicles are hazardous and should be dealt with, and kept, securely to prevent risk to the environment.

“Any uncontrolled handling of waste can harm human health and pollute the environment.”

Maher Khater pleaded guilty to:

Between 7 December 2011 and 22 February 2012 at the Former timber yard, First Drove, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE1 5BJ, you did operate a regulated facility, namely a waste operation for the deposit, storage and treatment of waste, without being authorised by an environmental permit granted under Regulation 13 of the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010.

Contrary to Regulation 12(1)(a) and 38(1)(a) of the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010

via Environment Agency – Waste site run illegally.

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Ordeal of elderly couple trapped twice in freezing lift – – Fulham Chronicle

Share

Ordeal of elderly couple trapped twice in freezing lift – Local News – News – Fulham Chronicle: Husband and wife Bipin, 79, and Nirmal Mathur, 72, were trapped for nearly an hour in the freezing elevator at their home in Aspen Gardens last Saturday. And if that wasn’t enough, the same thing happened again on Sunday, and then the unlucky couple’s son Gaurav, 39, and their grandchildren, Maya, five, and Pearl, three, were also trapped.
On both occasions the fire service had to be called to rescue them after council operators couldn’t say how long it would take for contractors to set them free.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Small claims limit raised to £5,000 in Grayling whiplash plan | The Law Gazette

Share

Small claims limit raised to �5,000 in Grayling whiplash plan | The Law Gazette: Justice secretary Chris Grayling will today unveil his long-expected blueprint for bringing down the number of whiplash claims.

In a four-month consultation to be launched this morning, Grayling (pictured) will outline proposals for independent medical panels to diagnose whiplash injuries and raise the small-claims track threshold from �1,000 to �5,000.

The consultation paper acknowledges the argument that changes will harm access to justice and could mean victims with justified claims would either not challenge unreasonable offers by insurers or fail to claim proper damages for their injuries.

But the Ministry of Justice insists the reforms will make it less likely that fraudulent or exaggerated claims will be made, and if they are then they can be properly tested. Grayling said: ‘For too long honest drivers have been bearing the price of a system that has been open to abuse and it is time for that to change.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Emissions trading: Government replaces EU ETS regulations with single instrument

Share

Emissions trading: Government replaces EU ETS regulations with single instrument: Changes to the laws implementing European emissions trading rules will simplify an unnecessarily complex area of regulation as well as remove “inappropriate” criminal penalties for misreporting, an expert has said.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Navy regular critically injured after incident onboard ship – Singapore

Share

Navy regular critically injured after incident onboard ship: SINGAPORE – A Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) regular serviceman, Military Expert (ME) 2 Chee Weng Fai Jason, was critically injured onboard the Landing Ships Tank RSS Endeavour while it was berthed at Changi Naval Base.

He was caught between the motorised winch and the rope while checking on one of the berthing ropes that was being tightened.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web