Rhostryfan flooding ’caused by health and safety decision’

Share

ONE of the worst floods to ever hit a village was caused by a council’s health and safety decision, it has been claimed.

Rhostryfan was engulfed in torrents of water last week as extreme weather battered Arfon.

http://www.caernarfonherald.co.uk/caernarfon-county-news/local-caernarfon-news/2012/11/30/rhostryfan-flooding-caused-by-health-and-safety-decision-88817-32341295/

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Cape Town city investigation into the scaffold accident that occurred outside the Cape Town Stadium

Share

CAPE TOWN – Cape Town city bosses said on Wednesday while its investigation into the accident that occurred outside the Cape Town Stadium before the Linkin Park concert last month is complete, it can only reveal the details once a parallel police probe has been finalised.

One person died while several others were injured when gale force winds caused advertising scaffolding to collapse.

The incident occurred just before the US rock band went on stage.

The city hired a structural engineering company to look into the matter.

Cape Town Mayor Patricia De Lille said the findings will not be released just yet.

http://ewn.co.za/2012/12/06/Accident-at-Linkin-Park-concert-probe-complete

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Maintenance staff to blame for train fire: Railways

Share

The railway safety commissioner (CSR) and Central Railway (CR) officials inspected Wednesday the coach that caught fire Tuesday injuring 11 passengers.

A transformer burst in an adjacent motor coach at Dockyard Station had sparked the fire.

While Mani Pillai, responsible for maintenance of the transformer, was suspended Tuesday, the CR general manager also ordered a J-grade probe by administrative officials.

http://m.indianexpress.com/news/%22maintenance-staff-to-blame-for-train-fire-railways%22/1041092/

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Payout for pothole – KwaZulu-Natal

Share

Payout for pothole

KwaZulu-Natal – The failure of the KwaZulu-Natal Department of Transport to repair a pothole at an estimated cost of R500 could end up costing it almost R1 million.

Former hospital chef Hluphile Elda Zuma was injured when the taxi she was travelling in hit the massive pothole and overturned on the R33 between Keate’s Drift and Tugela Ferry in December 2004.

Zuma’s arm had to be amputated below the elbow.

http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/payout-for-pothole-accident-victim-1.1436780

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Contract worker dies after fall at NIPSCO Schahfer station

Share

A contract employee died on Tuesday after falling from a scaffolding at NIPSCO’s R.M. Schahfer Generating Station in Wheatfield.

The victim was identified as Troy Jabaay, 49, of Hebron.

http://www.chestertontribune.com/PoliceFireEmergency/125121%20contract_worker_dies_after_fall.htm

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Court Renews Burn Suit Against Hair Dye Maker

Share

ATLANTA (CN) – The 11th Circuit offered a new shot at relief to a woman who says she needed skin grafts on her scalp after she tried to go blonde at age 13.
“Bob Dylan’s recognition that ‘[b]ehind every beautiful thing there’s been some kind of pain’ might seem painfully ironic to Amber Wright,” according to the opinion authored by Judge Edward Carnes. “Her quest for what she deemed to be more beautiful hair allegedly led not just to pain but also to emotional ‘scars that the sun didn’t heal,’ all of which led to this lawsuit.”

http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/12/05/52858.htm

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Workerwas awarded $5.2 million in damages after ladder fall

Share

A West Seneca man who suffered serious back injuries when he fell from a ladder in a 2007 workplace accident was awarded $5.2 million in damages this week.

Richard Piotrowski, 26, who worked as a maintenance aide at Seneca Health Care Center, fell to the floor after a misstep on a wobbly ladder, his attorneys said.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121204/CITYANDREGION/121209615/1003

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Worker Dies in Fall from Audubon Water Tower

Share

Efforts are underway to rescue a second worker.

A man was killed in Audubon on Wednesday morning when he fell to the bottom of a water tower where he was performing maintenance work.

A second worker also fell in the accident but became suspended above the floor of the empty water tower, which is owned by Audubon Water Company. He sustained unspecified injuries and was trapped for almost three hours while rescuers worked to reach him. He was loaded into a waiting ambulance and transported to Paoli Hospital.

http://phoenixville.patch.com/articles/one-dead-at-audubon-water-tower

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Injury brings early end to Hull man’s working life. — Managing director Colin Mawe fined

Share

A business owner in Hull has been prosecuted after an employee fell nearly four metres while painting the top of a water storage tank and shattered his left leg. The 58 year-old decorator, from north-west Hull, will never be able to go back to his lifetime trade or any other construction-related work following the incident on 29 November last year. He and a colleague, both employees of Mawe Staff & Co Ltd, were asked by managing director Colin Mawe to paint seven storage tanks at Humber Growers’ Beckside Nursery in Ellerker, East Yorkshire. While painting the crown of one of them, he lost his balance as he walked along the curved top surface and fell onto the concrete floor slabs below. The worker suffered multiple fractures to his left leg and broke his right heel. He has had two operations to pin and re-build the bones in his leg and was confined to a wheelchair for several weeks. He now has to rely on crutches and is still receiving physiotherapy. Beverley Magistrates heard today (5 Dec) that the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) brought the prosecution against Colin Mawe for safety failings after investigating the incident. HSE found there was no protection in place along the sides of the tanks to prevent a fall. The court was told Mr Mawe had provided inadequate access equipment for the job and had instructed the two men to use it. He had then seen both his employees working in a clearly unsafe manner, but had failed to take any steps to put effective safety measures in place to prevent them from falling. Colin Mawe, of Temple Close, Welton, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 37(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 by virtue of his neglect as an individual director. He was fined £2,500 and ordered to pay £1,800 in costs. After the hearing, HSE Inspector David Bradley said: “This was a serious incident in which a worker sustained life-changing injuries. However the height from which this worker fell had the very real potential to cause fatal injuries. “The controls needed to avert this incident were simple to achieve, and the risks to people walking along the top of a curved tank should have been evident to anyone controlling the work. It is therefore disappointing that Mr Mawe saw people working in this manner yet failed to introduce simple controls to eliminate these risks. “Falling from height remains the biggest cause of fatal and major injuries in the construction industry. This incident amply demonstrates the importance of planning properly and ensuring the right controls and precautions are in place for the duration of the work.” http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2012/rnn-yh-21512.htm?eban=rss-

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Cobweb Scaffolding was found guilty yesterday of a charge of hiring scaffolding to a Rotorua couple

Share

A Rotorua man was knocked unconscious and spent two days in hospital after he fell from scaffolding when it gave way, the Rotorua District Court has been told.

Whakatane-based company Cobweb Scaffolding was found guilty yesterday of a charge of hiring scaffolding to a Rotorua couple to be used in a place of work and failing to take all practicable steps to ensure the scaffolding was maintained so it was safe for its intended use. The company had pleaded not guilty to the charge brought against them under the Health and Safety in Employment Act.

The company pleaded guilty in June to another charge of failing to take all practicable steps to install and arrange the scaffolding so it was safe for its intended use after it failed to lash the scaffolding planks.

http://m.rotoruadailypost.co.nz/news/scaffold-firm-guilty-of-safety-failures/1642338/

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web