Apollo Property Services Group Limited, now part of Keepmoat Group fined after seven people were hospitalised

Share

One of the UK’s largest property service organisations has been ordered to pay more than £300,000 in fines, costs and compensation after seven people were hospitalised when carbon monoxide (CO) fumes escaped into their homes

Apollo Property Services Group Limited, now part of Keepmoat Group, was yesterday (17 December) sentenced in relation to the incident at the Abbey Road Estate, on Adelaide Road, Camden, between 18 February and 18 March 2008.

The Old Bailey (Central Criminal Court) heard during a two-week trial that seven residents, none of whom want to be named, were exposed to CO because boiler flues servicing the flats were obstructed during roof refurbishment work.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Apollo knew that some flues may still be serving boilers in the properties, but did not have an adequate system for inspecting them. So work continued without checks being carried out.

The company also failed to ensure that the work was adequately supervised, and did not ensure that workers were familiar with safe working practices in relation to gas flues or were aware of the risks.

Apollo Property Services Group Ltd, of Church Street, Waltham Abbey, was fined £165,000, ordered to pay £117,582 in costs and a total of £19,000 in compensation after being found guilty of breaching section 3(1) of the Health and Safety etc. at Work Act 1974.

After sentencing, HSE’s Inspector Helen Donnelly said:

“Despite the client’s adviser warning the company to consider the risk of blocking or covering flues at the start of the refurbishment project, the company did not assess the risks to residents or have a safe system to ensure flues serving live boilers were not obstructed.

“Moreover, as part of one of the UK’s largest property service organisations, Apollo Property Services Group Limited is very experienced in refurbishing housing estates so there is no reason for this incident to have happened.”

via RNN media information for journalists and the press – Press Releases – Firm fined after residents are poisoned by carbon monoxide – RNN media information for journalists and the press.

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Fishermen saved in Truong Sa waters – – VietNam News

Share

Fishermen saved in Truong Sa waters – Miscellany – VietNam News: KHANH HOA (VNS)— The Border Guard Command of Khanh Hoa Province handed over a Filipino fisherman rescued in waters around the Truong Sa Archipelago to the Philippine Embassy in Viet Nam on Saturday.

The distressed sailor, Rased Musa, was rescued by a Vietnamese fishing vessel on November 27, having been adrift on a small boat without food, fresh water or fuel for about ten days. His boat was caught by strong winds and big waves which set it off course, according to Senior Lieutenant Colonel Nguyen Long Xuyen from the Guards.

Visit safety photo
Happy Christmas From Stoker

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Man dies as fire spreads in trade centre – – VietNam News

Share

Man dies as fire spreads in trade centre – Miscellany – VietNam News: HA TINH (VNS)– One person died after a fire spread in the biggest trade centre in Ha Tinh Province today morning. The fire has yet to be extinguished and is spreading to surrounding areas.

Witnesses said that the victim, Pham Xuan Truong, was welding in a 3D film room on the fourth floor when the fire started. He received serious burns and died of his injuries after being taken to hospital.

The smoke from the fire spiralled all the way up to the 15th floor of the building and hundreds of people had to be evacuated from the centre. As the incident occurred during rush hour, curious onlookers flocked to the building to take a look causing a major traffic jam and making it difficult for the firefighters to stop the fire.

Visit safety photo
Happy Christmas From Stoker

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Worker in W.Va. killed while laying gas pipe | NewsOK.com

Share

Worker in W.Va. killed while laying gas pipe | NewsOK.com: BETHANY, W.Va. (AP) — Officials are investigating the death of worker while installing a natural gas pipeline in Bethany.
Media outlets report that crews were using heavy equipment to lift a 120-foot section of pipeline around 7 p.m. on Sunday when it swayed into another piece of equipment and crashed through its windshield and struck the operator.

Visit safety photo
Happy Christmas From Stoker

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Bangalore: Two Fall to their Death from Under-construction Buildings

Share

Bangalore: Two Fall to their Death from Under-construction Buildings: Bangalore, Dec 18 (DHNS): Two persons fell to their death from under-construction buildings in the City in the last two days.
Unais, 30, was killed after he fell into a pit dug for an escalator at an under-construction building in Ramakrishna Layout, Jnanabharathi.
Unais a store manager at a footwear store in Kalasipalya, was staying along with his six friends in a rented room on the third floor of the building.
The building belongs to Mahadevaiah where minor work is being carried out. On Sunday, following a drinking binge, Unais and his friends had dispersed to their rooms.
However, on Monday, they failed to locate Unais andlaunched a search only to discover his body lying in the pit. Jnanabharatahi Police have registered a case against Mahadevaiah, the building owner for negligence.

Visit safety photo
Happy Christmas From Stoker

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Feds look other way as wind farms kill birds — but haul oil and gas firms to court | Fox News

Share

Feds look other way as wind farms kill birds — but haul oil and gas firms to court | Fox News: Washington – �Lights left on during a foggy night last year at a West Virginia wind farm are thought to be behind the grizzly deaths of nearly 500 songbirds.�

It was the third time it happened — and each time, the federal government looked the other way.�

Fast forward to last week. Following the deaths of a dozen migratory birds in Montana, Wyoming and Nebraska several years back, a Denver-based oil company was fined $22,500. The company was also ordered to make an additional $7,500 payment to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation.

Visit safety photo
Happy Christmas From Stoker

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Logging company fined after worker’s death – NZ News – 3 News

Share

Logging company fined after worker’s death – Story – NZ News – 3 News: The death on the job of a 61-year-old forestry worker has cost a now-defunct Marlborough logging firm more than $150,000 in fines and reparations.
Blenheim man Peter Cowan was killed by a falling branch while working for Blacklaws Logging Limited felling trees in the Awatere Valley in February last year.
The Blenheim District Court heard on Monday that an excavator operator dislodged a dead branch in the upper canopy which fell and hit chainsaw operator Mr Cowan, who was underneath.
The company, which was no longer trading, was charged with failing to take practical steps to ensure the safety of an employee.

Visit safety photo
Happy Christmas From Stoker

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Coal mine blast kills six in China | NDTV.com

Share

Coal mine blast kills six in China | NDTV.com: Beijing:�At least six people were killed in a coal mine explosion in central China.The blast occurred around 3 pm on Monday at Niulanchu Coal Mine in Hunan Province, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.Six miners died on the spot and one was injured seriously and sent to a local hospital.

Visit safety photo
Happy Christmas From Stoker

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Thieves took away an energized substation – – Croatian Times

Share

Thieves took away an energized substation – General News – Croatian Times Online News – English Newspaper: Thieves in Croatia risked their lives when stealing a live electric substation.

National television channel HTV reports the substation from the southern village of Zadvarje was used for purposes of police, firemen and mobile phone signals in the area.

The station worth almost 20,000 pounds and weighing 400 kilograms was stolen and police wonders how come it did not kill the thieves as it was energized.

Visit safety photo
Happy Christmas From Stoker

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Pedestrian Killed, MdTA Worker Injured While Changing Tire on Route 152 in Joppa

Share

Pedestrian Killed, MdTA Worker Injured While Changing Tire on Route 152 in Joppa: (Joppa, MD) – A pedestrian was killed and a civilian worker with the Maryland Transportation Authority Police was injured while assisting a motorist on the shoulder with a disabled vehicle.The deceased victim is John Scott, 54, of the 2700 block of Laurel Valley Garth in Abingdon, Maryland. Scott responded to the scene as a good Samaritan to aid the motorist with a flat tire. He was driving a Chevy S-10 pickup and parked in front of the disabled vehicle on the shoulder of northbound Route 152, where the incident occurred.

Visit safety photo
Happy Christmas From Stoker

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web