Drunk schoolgirl, 16, high on party drug died falling under train ‘when guard blew whistle’ | Mail Online

Share

Georgia Varley: Drunk schoolgirl, 16, high on party drug died falling under train ‘when guard blew whistle’ | Mail Online: A teenage girl fell under the wheels of a moving train because the guard gave the order to set off as she drunkenly leaned against the carriage, a court heard yesterday.

Georgia Varley, 16, was killed instantly when she fell between the platform and the train during a night out to celebrate a friend’s 18th birthday.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Burma train blaze leaves 25 dead

Share

Burma train blaze leaves 25 dead: A train derailment and an ensuing blaze has killed 25 people and injured nearly 100 more in northern Burma.
Two petrol tankers loaded onto the train overturned in Friday’s accident and local villagers collecting the fuel were burned to death as flames tore across the crash site.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Nottingham nightclub F&G fined more than £67,000 for making too much noise | This is Nottingham

Share

Nottingham nightclub F&G fined more than �67,000 for making too much noise | This is Nottingham: The operators of Nottingham Nightclub F&G has been fined more than �67,000 for making too much noise – despite several warnings to quieten down.
Unique Nightclub Ltd, which runs the club in Broadway, was convicted of 16 breaches of a noise abatement notice at Nottingham Magistrates court.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Construction worker killed on SUNY Oswego campus : CNYcentral.com

Share

Construction worker killed on SUNY Oswego campus : News : CNYcentral.com: A construction worker was killed after a fall on the campus of SUNY Oswego Friday morning�around 8:25 a.m.According to officials at SUNY Oswego, the man was installing metal roof decking on a new connector between Park and Wilber Halls when he fell. He was pronounced dead at Oswego Hospital about an hour later.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Two badly burned in explosion at Bombardier plant in Quebec (with video)

Share

Two badly burned in explosion at Bombardier plant in Quebec (with video): VALCOURT, Que. – An overnight explosion and fire at a Bombardier Recreational Products complex in Quebec’s Eastern Townships has left two people with serious burns.
Quebec provincial police say the blast occurred about 20 minutes after midnight and appeared to come from a lab in the facility’s research centre in Valcourt.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

BEST worker killed in acccident – The Times of India

Share

BEST worker killed in acccident – The Times of India: A BEST employee has been arrested for mowing down a conservancy worker inside a depot at Goregaon on Thursday. The accused, Prakash Salunke, is a bus shunter who drives empty buses within depots and from one depot to another. The accident occurred near the watering shed. The deceased, Kiran Susvirkar (50), was cleaning the premises when Salunke reversed the bus, crushing Susvirkar. Susvirkar is a Charkop resident.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

2 officials at Ky. mine where worker killed possibly face prison for safety violations – The Washington Post

Share

2 officials at Ky. mine where worker killed possibly face prison for safety violations – The Washington Post: LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Plea agreements say two supervisors at an eastern Kentucky mine where a coal miner was killed last year knowingly violated federal safety laws.
The documents filed this week say Jefferson Davis and Joseph Miniard are planning to plead guilty and are facing prison time when they are sentenced during a March hearing in U.S. District Court.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

2,000 workers walk out after finding maggots in company lunch – Vietnam

Share

Vietnam latest news – Thanh Nien Daily | 2,000 workers walk out after finding maggots in company lunch: More than 2,000 workers at a foreign-invested company in the southern Vietnamese province of Binh Phuoc struck work Thursday after they found maggots in their company-provided lunch.

The workers at Taiwanese-owned Freewell Limited Company, which makes apparel and footwear in the Bac Dong Phu Industrial Zone, also said the food, which included chicken, pork, and preserved sausage that day, was stinking and spoilt.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

George McCallum pleads guilty to failing to ensure safety of Kaylee McIntosh | contravention of Section 7(a)

Share

At Inverness Sheriff Court today, George Leven Deuchars McCallum, 52, pleaded guilty to a contravention of Section 7(a) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, in connection with the death of 14 year old Kaylee McIntosh at Loch Carnan, South Uist, on 3 August 2007.

The charge set out his failure to adequately plan and assess the risks involved in the safe transportation of cadets by waterborne craft, and his failure to safely carry out the transportation itself.

Kaylee had attended an Army Cadet camp and was one of a number of cadets being transported by boat between Loch Carnan and Loch Skipport. During that voyage, the boat she was in capsized and she entered the water and became trapped under the upturned hull. No head count had been taken or note of the names of all those on board each craft upon embarkation, nor was there a formal record on or offshore of who was on the water. No roll call was made at the point of capsize and none made immediately upon landing at the jetty at Loch Carnan after personnel were recovered from the water by any of the instructors at the pier. The fact that Kaylee was missing was therefore not noted for some time, resulting in the Coastguard being advised that all cadets had been rescued and delay in her being located. She was subsequently recovered from under the upturned hull over three hours after the initial Mayday call was made and taken by coastguard helicopter to Western Isles Hospital where she was pronounced dead.

The court heard that McCallum was in charge of the boating operation but that no specific documented risk assessment had been conducted for the boat transfer. In addition, the evidence subsequently gathered demonstrated that he had failed to adequately plan the activity and assess the risks involved.

Sentence was deferred until Monday 19 November.

Following the plea, Elaine Taylor, Head of the COPFS Health and Safety Division, said:

“George McCallum has today pled guilty to his individual failings in relation to ensuring the safety of Kaylee McIntosh on the day she died.

“The transportation of cadets by craft required adequate planning and assessment of the risks involved, and the accused failed in his duties to carry out both of these crucial elements to ensure that Kaylee and other cadets involved in the activity were safe.

“Those failings resulted in the entirely avoidable loss of the life of a young girl.

“Our thoughts today are with the family and friends of Kaylee McIntosh”

HSE Inspector Douglas Conner said:

“The investigation into the circumstances surrounding this tragic incident revealed a number of failings by Mr McCallum.

“Mr McCallum failed to sufficiently assess the risks involved or to take all reasonable steps when planning or carrying out the activity.

“The part played by his employers, the Ministry of Defence, in Kaylee’s death is being dealt with separately by HSE.”

via George McCallum pleads guilty to failing to ensure safety of Kaylee McIntosh | Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service.

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Avid Smoker Can’t Fight New Ban in Clayton, Mo.

Share

Courthouse News Service: ST. LOUIS (CN) – A man cannot sue a Missouri suburb over its anti-smoking ordinance, the 8th Circuit ruled.
Arthur Gallagher sued the city of Clayton, suburb of St. Louis, after it banned smoking in certain public places in 2010. Gallagher claimed that the law unconstitutionally prevented him from smoking outdoors.
Gallagher described himself as a Clayton resident who regularly uses the city’s parks and “ecstatically enjoys smoking tobacco products while doing so.”

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web