OSHA seeks court enforcement of order requiring Star Air to reinstate 2 wrongfully terminated Ohio truck drivers

Share

AKRON, Ohio – The U.S. Department of Labor has filed a lawsuit in federal court seeking to enforce a final decision and order issued to North Canton-based trucking company Star Air and owner Robert R. Custer for terminating two truck drivers in violation of the Surface Transportation Assistance Act’s whistleblower provisions.

The company has been ordered to pay $612,205. The Labor Department’s Administrative Review Board issued a final decision to Star Air on Dec. 19, 2011, requiring the company to reinstate the two employees and pay $602,366, including back wages in the amount of $341,894 for one driver and $181,468 for the other, as well as $79,004 in attorney fees.

On Jan. 18, 2012, the review board ordered Star Air to pay supplemental attorney fees of $9,839. To date, Star Air has not taken any action to comply, prompting the department’s suit, which has been filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, Eastern Division in Akron. The department is represented by its Regional Office of the Solicitor in Cleveland. 

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=NEWS_RELEASES&p_id=23247

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

OSHA cites American Masonry in Chicago for exposing workers to lead dust, proposes $196,000 in fines

Share

CHICAGO – The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration has cited Waclaw Cilulko, doing business as American Masonry Inc., for seven alleged willful health violations of OSHA’s lead standards.

An inspection of a commercial building site in Chicago that houses several art studios found workers exposed to excessive amounts of lead during sandblasting operations.

Proposed penalties total $196,000.”When employers such as American Masonry knowingly ignore health requirements, they are unduly placing their workers at risk for illnesses, and that is unacceptable,” said Nick Walters, OSHA’s regional administrator in Chicago. “Lead exposure can cause serious neurological damage, among other illnesses.”

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=NEWS_RELEASES&p_id=23244

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Takeaway boss food trade ban

Share

A TAKEAWAY owner has been banned from running restaurants, admitting seven food hygiene offences.

Preston Crown Court heard how Muhaimnul and Rushna Choudhury ran the Bengal Spice takeaway – now Dial-a-Curry – on Central Drive, where Blackpool Council’s food hygiene officers found what Judge Tony Cross QC described as an “appalling history of conforming to the regulations”.When officers raided the premises they found dirty tea towels and spice containers, as well as greasy boxes used to store poppadoms.

Takeaway boss food trade ban

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Cafe fined for over a dozen health and safety breaches

Share

A roadside cafe just outside Sleaford has been fined thousands of pounds after several breaches of health and safety regulations.

North Kesteven District Council has fined the Cheerio Cafe, on the A17 at North Rauceby, nearly £3,000 for food hygiene failures after business operator Mrs Lina De Sousa admitted 19 breaches of food hygiene regulations and three failures to comply with hygiene improvement notices.Dirty conditions and poor practices were found by Environmental Health inspectors when they visited the premises on numerous occasions since March, culminating at a prosecution hearing at Lincoln Magistrates Court on Tuesday November 6.

Cafe fined for over a dozen health and safety breaches

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Montreal firefighters rescue 4 construction workers after scaffolding starts to collapse

Share

MONTREAL — Montreal firefighters had to rescue three construction workers Tuesday morning after the scaffolding they were working on started to shift and could possibly collapse.A call came in at 9:42 a.m. for work being done at 1153 Mount Royal E. near de la Roche St. where a four-storey scaffolding was threatening to fall down. The scaffolding was bolted to the building made of older brick. The three workers were trapped on the top floor with all their equipment when the platform first shifted.

Montreal firefighters rescue 4 construction workers after scaffolding starts to collapse

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Vehcom Manufacturing Ltd. Fined $75,000 After Worker Injured

Share

Guelph, ON – Vehcom Manufacturing Ltd., a Guelph auto parts manufacturer, was fined $75,000 for a violation of the Occupational Health and Safety Act after a worker was injured.On June 11, 2010, a young worker at Vehcom’s industrial facility located at 74 Campbell Road in Guelph, worked on a production line. Known as the “ATX” line, this production line consisted of four machining centres and a fenced-off “robot cell” containing a large robotic arm. A jam occurred in the “robot cell” and the worker entered in order to access the machining centre and clear it. Upon clearing the jam a steel rod activated, causing injuries to the worker’s hand.

A Ministry of Labour investigation found that the machine was not shut down or locked out when the worker entered to clear the jam.Vehcom Manufacturing Ltd. pleaded guilty to failing to ensure that the machine was equipped with and guarded by a guard or other device that prevented access to a pinch point.The fine was imposed by Justice of the Peace A. James Child. In addition to the fine, the court imposed a 25-per-cent victim fine surcharge, as required by the Provincial Offences Act. The surcharge is credited to a special provincial government fund to assist victims of crime.

http://news.ontario.ca/mol/en/2012/11/vehcom-manufacturing-ltd-fined-75000-after-worker-injured.html

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Negligence: snails, golf clubs and tree roots

Share

Since the decomposed remains of a snail were found in a bottle of ginger beer in a Paisley cafe in 1928 (the famous case of Donoghue v Stevenson [1932] All ER Rep 1, which underpins the modern law of negligence) we have all been expected to take reasonable care not to injure our ‘neighbours’. And ‘neighbours’, of course, are not just ‘them as lives next door’.

As Lord Atkin said in Donoghue, neighbours for these purposes means those ‘who are so closely and directly affected by my act that I ought reasonably to have them in contemplation as being so affected when I am directing my mind to the acts or omissions which are called in question’.

Negligence: snails, golf clubs and tree roots

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Smoking blamed for fire that displaced 25 families

Share

PLANTATION, Fla. (AP) – The state fire marshal says careless smoking sparked a fire that displaced 25 families living in a South Florida apartment building.    Battalion Chief Joel Gordon says an occupant in the Plantation apartment where the fire started admitted he had been smoking. Gordon tells the Sun Sentinel (http://bitly.com/SWxdcs) that the resident’s attempt to extinguish the fire himself delayed a call to 911.    

Smoking blamed for fire that displaced 25 families

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Have you got the Elf Factor? – Newstalk 106-108 fm

Share

A toy store in Dublin is holding ‘auditions’ to find 10 Elves to help Santa over Christmas.

The store says that while elf and safety training is important, the main characteristics Hamleys want in their Christmas elves are friendliness, enthusiasm, and exceptional levels of Christmas spirit!

Have you got the Elf Factor? – Newstalk 106-108 fm

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Worker suffers life changing condition after company ignores ozone danger

Share

A Kegworth soft drinks manufacturer has been fined after a contractor was exposed to ozone gas while servicing a UV light system in a plant room.Richard Sharp, 49, from Wetherby, West Yorkshire, wasn’t told that ozone was present in the room after being given a permit to work at Cott Beverages, on Sideley Road, and was overcome by the fumes. His exposure on 26 July 2010 resulted in acute irritant asthma. Mr Sharp has been unable to return to work and struggles with day-to-day activities due to his high sensitivity to different chemicals and smells. Anything from perfume to exhaust fumes can trigger an asthma attack. Loughborough Magistrates’ Court heard today (12 November) that Cott Beverages Ltd was aware of the hazards of ozone since first installing generating equipment in 2001 to disinfect the liquid used in drinks. An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found the company failed to carry out a suitable and sufficient assessment of the risks arising from the ozone generating equipment, and failed to implement a safe system of work for servicing the equipment and associated alarms. In addition, people on site were not adequately trained or supervised to safely issue work permits to the ozone room, and the company failed to implement a system to monitor and review the effectiveness of the permit to work system. Cott Beverages Ltd, of Citrus Grove, Sideley, Kegworth, Derby, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) and 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. The company was fined £20,000 and ordered it to pay costs of £11,565. http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2012/rnn-em-169.htm?eban=rss-

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web