Takeaway fined after food poisoning – Bedford Today

Share

A takeaway in Kempston has been fined £2,250 after being found guilty of four food hygiene charges. The Ackee Tree, in Bedford Road, was investigated by Bedford Borough Councils’ environmental health team in July 2011 following a food poisoning outbreak.

Mr Anthony Riley, 53, of Ackworth Crescent, Luton, appeared at Bedford Magistrates Court on November 6, and was found guilty of selling food which was unfit for human consumption after a goat curry had been eaten by three members of the public. The food was later found to be contaminated with high levels of the food poisoning organism Clostridium Perfringens.

Takeaway fined after food poisoning – Bedford Today

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Raymond Blanc restaurant banned from serving lamb’s liver after food poisoning – Telegraph.co.uk

Share

A restaurant run by Michelin starred chef Raymond Blanc has been banned from serving liver after the undercooked dish left two diners with potentially fatal food poisoning.

Two customers at Blanc Brasserie, in Covent Garden, London, were left ill after eating pink lamb’s liver which was not cooked thoroughly enough, a court has been told.

The restaurant has now been banned from serving the dish, after failing to heed a warning from council environmental health officers, Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard.

The food had “presented an imminent risk of injury to health because the process of cooking”, the court was told.

Raymond Blanc restaurant banned from serving lamb’s liver after food poisoning – Telegraph.co.uk

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

St Helens firm faces prosecution over death of building site worker in … – St Helens Star

Share

FOLLOWING the death of a worker who sustained fatal injuries in a fall at a building site in Skelmersdale, a St Helens firm is facing prosecution.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is bringing legal proceedings against TRU Ltd following an investigation into the death of Peter Winchurch during the construction of an extension to a semi-detached house.

Mr Winchurch, 68 from Skelmersdale, fell 20 feet to the ground in November, 2009 and died in hospital the following day as a result of his injuries.

St Helens firm faces prosecution over death of building site worker in … – St Helens Star

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Breast Cancer Risks Linked to Working Environment – WebProNews

Share

A new study shows that some occupations, such as those that expose workers to carcinogens and endocrine disrupters, raise risks for breast cancer. Jobs sectors that showed an increased risk included agriculture, bar/gambling, automotive plastics manufacturing, food canning, and metal-working.The study, published in the journal Environmental Health, looked at 1006 breast cancer cases in Southern Ontario, Canada. The patients took surveys and were interviewed, providing researchers with their occupational histories. The jobs were then coded for their likelihood of exposure to carcinogens and endocrine disruptors.The researchers found that women in jobs with high potential exposures to carcinogens and endocrine disruptors had an “elevated” risk for breast cancer. Premenopausal breast cancer risk was found to be highest for the automotive platics and food canning professions.

Breast Cancer Risks Linked to Working Environment – WebProNews

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Witness Bumps Her Head in Court

Share

     DALLAS (CN) – A witness appearing in a suburban Dallas court claims in court that she was injured when a court officer moved the chair she was sitting in.     Cathy Travis sued Glenn Heights, Texas, in Dallas County Court.     Travis says she testified in municipal court on Nov. 18, 2010.     “During this court appearance at one point, Ms. Travis stood up and when she attempted to sit back down, Officer Chancey, an employee by defendant City of Glenn Heights, Texas moved the chair causing Ms. Travis to fall and hit her head, which resulted in numerous injuries,” the complaint states.

Witness Bumps Her Head in Court

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Witness Bumps Her Head in Court

Share

     DALLAS (CN) – A witness appearing in a suburban Dallas court claims in court that she was injured when a court officer moved the chair she was sitting in.     Cathy Travis sued Glenn Heights, Texas, in Dallas County Court.     Travis says she testified in municipal court on Nov. 18, 2010.     “During this court appearance at one point, Ms. Travis stood up and when she attempted to sit back down, Officer Chancey, an employee by defendant City of Glenn Heights, Texas moved the chair causing Ms. Travis to fall and hit her head, which resulted in numerous injuries,” the complaint states.

Witness Bumps Her Head in Court

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

OSHA cites Cargill Meat Solutions for exposing workers to hazardous energy at Illinois plant, proposes $114,000 in fines

Share

BEARDSTOWN, Ill. – The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration has cited Cargill Meat Solutions Corp. with three safety violations for failing to protect workers from unexpected start-up of machines at its Beardstown pork processing facility. Proposed penalties total $114,000. OSHA initiated an inspection upon receiving a complaint alleging hazards.”Cargill has a responsibility to provide training to workers about the hazards that exist in their facilities, and to respond to safety concerns expressed by workers,” said Thomas Bielema, OSHA’s area director in Peoria. “OSHA is committed to protecting workers on the job, especially when employers fail to do so.”One willful violation is directing workers to perform maintenance and servicing on carbon dioxide equipment without first documenting lockout and tagout procedures designed to prevent unexpected energization. A willful violation is one committed with intentional knowing or voluntary disregard for the law’s requirements, or with plain indifference to worker safety and health. http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=NEWS_RELEASES&p_id=23271

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

North Yorkshire steam railway operator fined £4,000 for level crossing collision

Share

Heritage railway operator, Wensleydale Railway, has today been fined £4,000 and ordered to pay costs of £4,000 following a prosecution brought by the Office of Rail Regulation (ORR) for breaches of health and safety law which led to a collision between a train and a car at a level crossing near Newton-le-Willows in North Yorkshire.

On 1 August 2011, a steam train carrying 58 passengers collided with a car at Fox Park No.1 crossing, which connects a private farm access road with a public road across the rail line operated by Wensleydale Railway.

The car was extensively damaged in the collision, and the train sustained minor damage.

Neither the driver of the car nor any passengers on board the train suffered any injuries.Today’s sentencing at Northallerton Magistrates’ Court follows an extensive investigation by ORR into the incident which found that users of the crossing had insufficient visibility of oncoming trains, placing them in unnecessary danger.

This was caused by Wensleydale Railway not having in place adequate procedures to manage vegetation alongside the rail line. Evidence showed that prior to the collision vegetation at the crossing had not been cut back since October 2010.

http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/server.php?show=ConWebDoc.11051

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Gloucestershire firm fined over teenager’s severed fingers

Share

A Gloucestershire manufacturer has appeared in court after a teenage apprentice had parts of two fingers severed in unguarded machinery.

The 17-year-old, who has asked not to be named, was working at The Albany Engineering Company Ltd factory in Lydney on 3 May this year when the glove on his right hand became caught in a rotating cutter, slicing off the tops of his index and middle fingers to the first joint.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2012/rnn-sw-albanyengineering.htm?eban=rss-

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web

Poly student dies in accident – He left the shop to deliver what would have been his last pizza

Share

Poly student dies in accident that almost severs leg: SINGAPORE – He left the shop to deliver what would have been his last pizza order for the night. But Mr Muhammad Amirulhayat Mahadi never got to deliver it.

The 21-year-old student was killed after the Domino’s Pizza motorcycle he was riding was hit by a white Mazda RX8 sports car at the intersection of Sembawang Road and Yishun Avenue 5 on Thursday night.

Visit safety photos

Visit safetyphotoFor The Best Free Safety Photos On The Web